S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Stuntman Dan
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm planning on getting some Edelbrock TES headers, Jet-Hot coated, and puttin em in when I go home from school. First question is, what do you guys think of these headers? Any personal experience with em? I'm also thinkin of replacin my spark plugs when I put the headers on, since I'll have some extra room in there. What else do you guys think I should do at the same time? I'm thinkin replace the wires, cap, and rotor, anything else I should upgrade while I'm doin that? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
ive heard the TES headers tend to rust out, because they are made from thinner material than JBA's or Gibson's

·
Stuntman Dan
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I plan to get them coated, although a guy I know has them and hasn't had a problem with them rusting through in the 2 years(daily driven in winter on salty roads) that he's had them. I'll take a look at those though.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I've read that the welding leaves a lot to be desired, along with
construction..I've also read from a few that they really like the TES
system. I don't know. I do know if you were to get them coated you
should look at Swain Technologies coating. Really one of the very
best in thermal coating. I think it would run around 200/250 to
coat em..I had mine down out here in SoCal, but if I were to do
em again it would be by Swain, Rewarder headers, Microcoat or
Colonial coatings. Colonial has done parts for NASA..

I think Colonial is very close to you and Swain is in NY.

·
Strictly Domestic
2,864 Posts
I have the JBA headers on, A B*tch to put on, but i also did the MSD wires while i was there. Just have that damn exhaust leak at the EGR tube on the drivers side header.

·
Stuntman Dan
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I looked around and I think I'll stick with the Edelbrock headers. I see someone mentioned MSD wires, would they be good to put on? What plugs, wires, cap, and rotor do you guys use, if you've ever replaced that stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i used the msd wires also, you need something that will stand up to the heat. i also used split fire spark plugs they work great. and the rest like cap and rotor, acdelco because i didn't find anything better.

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
i have the TES on my truck... havent had any problem with the rust yet.. just normal surface looking rust.. not flaking...YET!!!! two years in northern michigan.. im kinda shocked actually.. no problems at all... just listen for that exhaust tick... so you dont burn the gasket.. about 35k or maybe more on them now...

·
Registered
448 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
no - i read that power coating actually traps heat, so it would be a bad thing to do
Not exactly true.
I don't know if powder coating will hold up. My guess is no.
But more importantly, trapping heat (as in ceramic coating) is a VERY GOOD THING! It lowers underhood temps and improves engine efficiency.

·
Stuntman Dan
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'm def going for the ceramic coating. It traps heat, keeps them from rusting, and looks purty too. Never heard of powdercoating headers though. I don't think the powdercoating could handle those kind of temps though. It'd probly bubble and either just look bad or come off.

·
H.D. & A. CEO.
330 Posts
Here is my .03 cents. "Don't Powder Coat." I had my headers on V8 S-10 powder coated Caution Yellow. It lasted maybe 3 minutes after I started the truck. The only yellow left on them was the flange.

Verne

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
Ed W said:
is a VERY GOOD THING! It lowers underhood temps and improves engine efficiency.
Yep, Heat keeps the exhaust velocity up, which is exactly what you want for power gains. I've got a set of TES header I've yet to install, and I think they're a pretty slick design that doesn't wrap around the steering shaft like the JBA's and they have their own integrated Y-pipe which makes the stock one look smaller then the primaries.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
but wouldnt the excessive heat (theoretically) trapped by the powder coating shorten the headers life, by exposing them to temperatures they weren't made for?

·
Registered
448 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
but wouldnt the excessive heat (theoretically) trapped by the powder coating shorten the headers life, by exposing them to temperatures they weren't made for?
Yes, maybe., sort of.
Cheap headers will fail sooner, quality ones will be fine.
JBA (for example) offers ceramic coating as a option.
That is all the recommendation I need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts