S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my headers in after about a 10am-8pm install, still not finished! Lot of trial and error, problems, things broken, not the right tools, etc....I wouldn't really ever attempt it again. I have to get the right flange bolts tomorrow, so we finally buttoned it all back up and started it open headers, holy shit! It was so loud and sounded awesome, we took a few videos. The hardest part was the drivers side, we had to remove the header several times, the egr fitting was horrible! Worst part of it, the steering column was also horrible, the gaskets suck...Basically the whole install was nothing but a fustrating bitch.

·
Teh S10Forum Hawk
14,000 Posts
In for a sound clip...... :D

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Well there's two ways to look at it. First I guess you can be
glad you didn't have a 1st Gen. On mine I had to pull the
pwr/str pump and pulley to get to one nut. PITA. I don't
think the later rides have this problem.

Second now you've joined a small and special group of people
who can say they're s-series truck header install vets, and lived
to talk about it. I agree headers are a PITA too. I used Mr'G's
Ultra Seal gasket as I only wanted to do this one time.

I used 3/8 x 2.50 allen head grd 8 bolts for the collector to
y-pipe. They're kinda tricky to get in there, and you have to
grind a lil off the left inner one, but using these and grd 8
flange nuts has made the install leak free. I found it was
also useful to install GM small block header bolts with the
6 point-3/8 head..Much easier to get in to torque..Did you
find your 90 * boots for #1 and #6 ? Well it's done and
once they get broken in, you'll feel a diff. Not much but
higher speeds you'll get going pretty good. It won't take
long to break in. Don't be surprised though if you end up
running a lil lean. It'll happen a bit with the headers and
a lil more so if ya have a free flow air intake..Have fun..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
not the right tools
What special tools were needed?

I have to get the right flange bolts tomorrow
They didn't come with bolts?

the egr fitting was horrible! Worst part of it, the steering column was also horrible
Can you explain this a little better?

Did you pull the inner fenders? I'm trying to get all the info I can before doing it myself. I installed a set of Edelbrock's on my '93, but the newer ones look a lot harder to do. Thanks for the info and defibitely get back to us with some new track times or dyno #s.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
bg's said:
Well there's two ways to look at it. First I guess you can be
glad you didn't have a 1st Gen. On mine I had to pull the
pwr/str pump and pulley to get to one nut. PITA. I don't
think the later rides have this problem.

Mine were cake.

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I needed a 1" opened end thin wrench, i had one at my house but was at my friends house doing it and we didn't feel like driving there and back, basically what you will need is, 5/8 deep socket, 10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm,plyers, screw drivers 7/8 wrench, 3 /4 wrench, breaker bar, pb blaster bolt spray, few sets of hands, there is more but thats all i can think of right now ...I got my headers off ebay for $125, no hardware, just headers...The egr was horrible to get out, we started turning it then the actual piece of metal tubing starting twisting to the point where is was no good. Then that was a trip getting it out. I didn't remove the inner fenders where as the passenger side went in no problem but i could have gotten away with taking out the drivers side. The steering column was a bitch. When you are ready to put your header in, make sure the column goes in at the same time as the header. And good luck with that egr fitting, we had to cut the tube and custom make a fitting. The brake lines are also in the way, the knock sesnor has to come out(good bye antifreeze). We took the drivers side wheel off. The flanges are torqued down VERY much. Those were a little tough. I used mr.gasket 3/8X1" allen head header bolts and the 3/8X2.5" flange bolts. Felpro gaskets(i hate those things) Some how we got rid of lots of adapter plates, some wires etc...You have to bend the dip stick to go inbetween the header as well. I will test drive it today. I'm excited for that. I have not gotten the boots yet, today i iwll, i see what you mean about the 90 degree ones. Yes i never want to touch this ever again

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Sounds like you had some fun, I remember my experience. I dont think I ran into as many problems as you, but I think it took me a little longer to install them said and done. You will like the results, I did. I think it took me and a buddy 13 hours to install them, I actually drove around with 1 header and 1 stock manifold for a day because we couldn't do it all in one day :).

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I agree. I found installing a couple of 3/8" studs in each end
or as close I could get without too trouble into the heads,
then slipping the gaskets and header onto the studs, starting
a couple of the header bolts and pulling up the gaskets/header
to the head then removing the studs helped a lot. It took me
close to three weeks. I was waiting for the headers to get back
from the coaters. I took it all down and cleaned everything up
while waiting.

My biggest time consumer was the stinking dipstick. I wanted it
to go in as close to factory as possible. I bent it this way and
that way until it fit just right. Took close to 5 hrs to get it
and the knock sensor just right..Hated that..Rest went ok I
guess, pulling the skirts and wheel/tire assy's help a lot.

I made sure to take my time. It wasn't REAL bad, but I would
have to be talked into it again, and I ain't hearing so well
nowdays..
:beer:

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got them finished today, i still need to tweak! I got it all bolted up, then leaks everywhere, maninly the egr fitting to the header. We ended up braking the peice and just capped off the fitting on the header and left the egr pipe hanging sucking fresh air. Is this a bad idea or not? It seems to run just fine but it might take awhile before it hits it. Also, i didn't really notice THAT MUCH of a difference in loudness/sound etc..Sure i can tell it has a little bit of a deeper more ballsy tone and a little more rumble but i expected more. Does it take time to brake in like a muffler? Cause i know when i put my muffler on it wasn't really that loud then a few days or weeks later it was loud...Errrr i hated this. I will never install headers again!! Unless i have to pull my engine for something...

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
welcome to the headers install club...12 hours for me...but in the end it was well worth it...they won't get louder that is the sound that you will have...a little deeper that is it

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
really? hmm, i wish it got a little louder or atleast a little something more....what about the gains?

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
an honest 10hp best bang for the buck mod you can buy...delete your cat and you exhaust with headers get's super loud about 4 times more loud

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah my bro has no cat, its really loud and he has a tailpipe, i'm worried about doing this cause i have headers and i only have a dump after the muffler...Also, do you or anyone else know any info on this egr fitting on the drivers side header, where as i said that i capped it off, what is bad/good/ok/not ok about doing that? It seems to run fine

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JGOR78, i see you are running a 15.6...You have a lot of mods and a lot more than me, plus the wet kit! Is this the time with all these mods, it seems like you got a lot more than what your time says. I got a 15.7 with intake, muffler, egr mod and tb mod....?

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
LOL I've done headers about 4times now trying to fix the blasted exhaust leak.

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isn't the leak awful! It made me so mad! I thought i was screwed, everything seemed to be going wrong/running like shit etc....

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
You definetly need the egr hooked up...your truck will run bad once the light goes on...as for those times those are last years not including 5 mods plus nitrous...I have a new posi and 3.73's to go in before the race season and I am looking to hit 14's on the spray...I have actually only run 16.4 altitude corrected I ran a 15.6 but we don't count that

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice nice...About the egr tube...What can i do to hook this up, the actual tube is all ****ed up and the end of it is broken off and shit. Can i get a whole new tube that goes from the egr fitting on the manifold to the header?

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was reading through other posts about the egr and people were saying that you can fully block it off, it probably will throw a code and run rough or let it hang down (as if it was only dissconnected from the header and sucking in fresh air not exhaust) and it will work, thats how mine is setup right now, just hanging sucking in better air....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts