S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Top Of the Line Dime
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo im tryin to find out if this is worth my time
i have edelbrock headers (shorties that go to 3" collector w/ y pipe) a magnaflow highflow cat 3"in/out and a flowmaster 40 series 3" in and dual 2.5 out and was wondering if i should put all this together and wondering if anyone knows if thats good for my truck or knows what its gonna sound like im going for a rumble sound and i have the v6 4.3
post let me know

thanx,
s10totheextreme
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
aram870425 said:
3" seems a lil big for a stock motor. u blown? nitrous? i dont think u'd have sufficient back pressure.....

I won't get into the backpressure debate but on a relatively stock 4.3 you will lose low end torque with headers and a 3 inch exhaust. You will gain 10-15 hp up top but will lose that and more in torque down low where you live most of the time. Bad choice for a street driven ride.
Strip vehicle then yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
I had a 3" catco cat and 3" to dual 2.5" flowmaster on my 98 when it was NA. It sounded pretty good in my own opinion. I don't have any time slips from before and after but I couldn't tell of any loss in performance from the bigger pipe.
 

·
Top Of the Line Dime
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lots of good feedback i talked to a guy at the muffler shop he said hell put it all on and i well have enoght back pressure stock and sound mean as hell anyone have any clips of this set up i have 2 weeks before i do it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,471 Posts
Jetmeck said:
I won't get into the backpressure debate but on a relatively stock 4.3 you will lose low end torque with headers and a 3 inch exhaust. You will gain 10-15 hp up top but will lose that and more in torque down low where you live most of the time. Bad choice for a street driven ride.
Strip vehicle then yes.
Jetmeck not to pick on you, but the factory put 3" cats and exhaust systems on 4.3's in the Astro / Safari vans and they needed lots of low end torque to pull that heavy thing around.
 

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Oh shit he's running a single? then hell put a single 3" you will be ok. I THOUGHT YOU WANTED DUALS SORRY
 

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Run a single 3" off the "y' and a single in single out 3" muffler, that sounds real good on the 4.3l motors we had a buddy out here with that,. I will get a pic for ya
The dual out sounds like poop
 

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
do a single 3" setup w. a single 3" outlet exit after the back tire...Thats what he had, sounded BAD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
poconojoe said:
Jetmeck not to pick on you, but the factory put 3" cats and exhaust systems on 4.3's in the Astro / Safari vans and they needed lots of low end torque to pull that heavy thing around.
Not to knock you either, joe but

I think you better measure it again and be sure it is factory. If it was factory that 4.3 will undoubtedly have less torque and hp on the low end as compared to one with a 2.5 inch exhaust, that is with similiar cams and etc.


Here is the deal putting too large of an exhaust does basically the same thing as running too large an intake runner on your heads. You are slowing the velocity of the air charge down, a smaller intake runner or port and a smaller exhaust pipe speed up the scavenging affect.
A larger intake port or runner or exhaust pipe will support more hp in the higher rpms but will lose intake velocity and exhaust velocity at lower rpms hurting your low end torque.

Besides a SINGLE 2.5 inch exhaust will support 250 hp on a 4.3. Anything much above that 250 hp and you might start to think about a 3 inch SINGLE exhaust.

There is a guy or two on here with aftermarket cams, ported and poilshed heads and intake, headers and all the bolt ons......now they should put a 3 inch exhaust on especially with a few of them being supercharged or thinking about it.

To put a 3 inch exhaust on basically stock or a few bolt ons S10 is a waste and simply not necessary and will rob you of low end torque which around town is what you need. If you are all out racing it 3 inch is the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
But hey if it's all about bragging rights and just saying I got a 3 inch exhaust then go for it.
It may sound cool, but sounding cool and getting the most out of your setup can be different things entirely. If you want what works best do not go 3 inch on a stock or even near stock S10 4.3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
poconojoe said:
Yes but you use two of them

PS you only need two 2 1/4" pipes to flow the same as a single 3", so you wouldn't need the 2 1/2" tailpipes

Actually every chart I have seen shows DUAL 2.5 equal ONE 3 inch pipe in flow ability.
 

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Jetmeck said:
But hey if it's all about bragging rights and just saying I got a 3 inch exhaust then go for it.
It may sound cool, but sounding cool and getting the most out of your setup can be different things entirely. If you want what works best do not go 3 inch on a stock or even near stock S10 4.3
I think that sum this convo up.... I think maybe its just to say "I have 3" exhaust " rather than seeing what actually makes more power...Thats what I have seen for the most part on here
 

·
Top Of the Line Dime
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10.5_SUCKS said:
I think that sum this convo up.... I think maybe its just to say "I have 3" exhaust " rather than seeing what actually makes more power...Thats what I have seen for the most part on here
well yeah I geuss its all in what i want i was just doing exacally what just happen getting advice thank-you 2 all who took part im going ahead and doing it and see what happens ill post what i think about it after its all done thanx fellas
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top