S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To any of you that have header clearance issues that effects you changing your oil because you can’t get you’re filter out on your sbc because the header, flexplate, and oil pan is in the way, I have found a filter for you that will solve that issue without running a oil filter location kit or taking off your driver side header off just to remove the filter

I have a 383 stroker (Gen 1 small block) in my 87 s10 blazer, I have Hedman longtube headers and I always had a problem changing my oil, I had to take my driver side header off which mine comes off in pieces which was just a pain especially just to do an oil change, well I finally found the shortest filter I could possibly find that squeezes through perfectly so I don’t have to remove anything, the filter I found is 2.61 inches tall made by jegs (JG111)

This filter works perfect for me and clears everything nice, little snug getting it between the flexplate, header and oil pan but I manage it every time and screws on perfectly, now my oil changes are easy and no more removing my header :)

I hope this helps you guys and gals that always battled this issue as well, let me know if this helps and solves your issue as well:)

Here is the link to the filter

linkhttps://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/JG111/10002/-1

If you guys know of any shorter filters please let us or myself know in the comments, I’ve done a lot of research and this is the shortest filter I can find ANYWHERE

Here is a photo of the sizes of the boxes of a couple other filters I used so you can see how short the filter is, I always ran the K&N 2002 filter on, no way I could get that out unless the header was removed, then I went even smaller to the mobil 1 M1-111 filter still too big to get out and then I went even shorter to the Jegs JG111 filter (shortest filter I can find), she works nicely and removes and installs at ease

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Is that the filter you are running? Having clearance issues as well? 3.2 inches is definitely short, surprisingly for me it isn’t short enough lol but if it works for you and others more power to you ✊???

I couldn’t believe how many folks had this type of issue, I hope all this info we put out helps people, it is definitely useful:)

Thank you for joining the conversation and posting, your information you provide makes a difference ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To any of you that have header clearance issues that effects you changing your oil because you can’t get you’re filter out on your sbc because the header, flexplate, and oil pan is in the way, I have found a filter for you that will solve that issue without running a oil filter location kit or taking off your driver side header off just to remove the filter

I have a 383 stroker (Gen 1 small block) in my 87 s10 blazer, I have Hedman longtube headers and I always had a problem changing my oil, I had to take my driver side header off which mine comes off in pieces which was just a pain especially just to do an oil change, well I finally found the shortest filter I could possibly find that squeezes through perfectly so I don’t have to remove anything, the filter I found is 2.61 inches tall made by jegs (JG111)

This filter works perfect for me and clears everything nice, little snug getting it between the flexplate, header and oil pan but I manage it every time and screws on perfectly, now my oil changes are easy and no more removing my header :)

I hope this helps you guys and gals that always battled this issue as well, let me know if this helps and solves your issue as well:)

Here is the link to the filter

linkhttps://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/JG111/10002/-1

If you guys know of any shorter filters please let us or myself know in the comments, I’ve done a lot of research and this is the shortest filter I can find ANYWHERE

Here is a photo of the sizes of the boxes of a couple other filters I used so you can see how short the filter is, I always ran the K&N 2002 filter on, no way I could get that out unless the header was removed, then I went even smaller to the mobil 1 M1-111 filter still too big to get out and then I went even shorter to the Jegs JG111 filter (shortest filter I can find), she works nicely and removes and installs at ease

View attachment 339336
Definitely stocked up?

·
Registered Hoosier
4,586 Posts
Is that the filter you are running? Having clearance issues as well? 3.2 inches is definitely short, surprisingly for me it isn’t short enough lol but if it works for you and others more power to you ✊???

I couldn’t believe how many folks had this type of issue, I hope all this info we put out helps people, it is definitely useful:)

Thank you for joining the conversation and posting, your information you provide makes a difference ?
I am not using this filter, but knew it was out there. I was just passing along information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I scrapped the relocation kit and used the jegs filter! It worked perfectly! Other than prying just a tiny bit on the header. I will be stocking up on these too!???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I scrapped the relocation kit and used the jegs filter! It worked perfectly! Other than prying just a tiny bit on the header. I will be stocking up on these too!???

**** yes brother!! Aren’t those filters nice??!?? you using the one I posted? Or which ones you using? Dude when I found these I instantly did the same thing lmaoo

i bought over 50 filters at once of those Incase they discounted them???

according to my math I think I’m set for almost 20 years on filters now?

when did you start using them? I’m so excited right now to know someone else is using these!!!????

·
time to get cereal
3,016 Posts
I thought most people wanted to use larger filters, not smaller... I use PF52 equivalents on my 4 banger instead of the PF47.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I thought most people wanted to use larger filters, not smaller... I use PF52 equivalents on my 4 banger instead of the PF47.
Honestly I didn’t know that most folks preferred bigger filters, I know is a filter is a filter, even with it being smaller I don’t think you have to change it any sooner or get less miles out if it because it’s smaller, as long as it’s filtering you’re good. I’ve personally never had any issues with that and I am picky when it comes to taking care of any of the toys

I normally change my oil way more often then I need to but I love to know it’s clean and plus the oil I use is very economical so with it being so priced so low changing it and keeping it clean just keeps that peace at mind with me knowing it’s always clean 😎

If you were to use the PF47, you won’t have any issues with it being roughly a couple inches shorter then the PF52 life/cycling wise, again as I said earlier in this reply as long as she’s filtering you’re good, your change cycles should still be the same as well, the way the filters are made today you’ll be surprised how much stuff they can catch and how long they really can last for, because the 47 is smaller then the 52 the life of the filter should be the same as the 52 my man plus using a smaller filter means you don’t have to use as much oil, myself I use about a quarter to a half quart less since my filter is so much shorter now and even with it being less I’m still on the full line because it doesn’t take as much oil to fill the smaller filter👍

Also I’ve never experienced any oil pressure raise or drop due to using a smaller filter, it’s always been the same as if I was using a bigger filter, no worries their either 😁😉👍

·
Boozebag
9,243 Posts
A small block Chevy has an oil bypass right above the filter thread housing.
This will only allow about 60% of the engine oil to be filtered.
You can buy a replacement unit that will allow 100% of the oil to be filtered. Summit and Jegs sells them.
It fits in the exact location as the original - 2 bolts.
And, the filter itself has a built in bypass - in case the filter clogs.

·
10+ 1st Gen 4.3's
262 Posts
It doesn't matter if the filter bypass is in the block or in the filter itself. If the pressure drop across the filter is higher than the bypass valve setting, the valve will be open, bypassing the filter.

The smaller the filter media area, the higher the pressure drop will be. Particularly with cold oil. With a smaller media area, the bypass is going to be open more often than it will be with a larger media area. Keep the oil changed regularly, and you'll be fine. No biggie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts