S-10 Forum banner

head!!!!

2K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  84blazerchev 
#1 ·
alright, i just found out today my shit is slower than the SVT Cobras. I have a bone stock 350 that was just rebuilt less than 5000 miles ago. what kind of heads and what cam would make me get anywhere near 400hp? over 400 would be great but close to it would be acceptable. i also only have around $1000 to spend on parts too.

heres what i have right now:
late 70's early 80's 350 with stock internals
stock heads
headman fenderwell headers (no pipes)
eldelbrock alimunum intake
eldelbrock 650 4 barrel
direct drive timing gears
HEI distributor
How much HP do you think i have right now? probably around 275???
and what would i need to get it around 400hp?

thanks,
matt

#3 ·
what kind of stock heads you got? You could switch to vortecs and a lunati bracket master cam part #63800010LK from jegs .480 lift 292 advertised duration 2k to 6k rpm range this is a great little cam for mild smallblock sounds mean and ive been impressed with the ones weve installed after that you should have enough left over to get a performer RPM intake to match the heads this is a great combo at about 9 or better to 1 compression and has good street manners depending on the deal you get on the heads your gonna be at or mebey even a couple of bucks over your 1000.00 budget so shop around alittle good luck

#9 ·
i dont know about the 706's but im sure someone else can help with that on here carcraft did a big article on making power with vortec heads a couple years ago and i think the said that the late 80's early 90's were the best boneyard head for vortecs a buddy built a 355 with 10.0 to 1 flattops stock crank and rods using the vortecs the lunati cam i mentioned and a performer RPM intake for vortec heads and a 750 DP holley 3500 stall jegs converter in a 63 chevy II and it ran a best of 7.42 in the 1/8th but it was perfectly streetable there is a weight difference but not by a whole lot

#12 ·
The Stunningman said:
906's have the undesirable hardened exhaust seat. a flow restriction. 062's are the better heads.

BTW get $2000 and come to Va. I have the solution on a stand in my shop.
I read somewhere that they retracted that statement, so Im not sure if its still valid. I would assume all heads have hardened seats since there isnt any more lead to cushion the blows...

Either way Vortec heads arent going to get you anywhere close to a Cobra, especially the supercharged ones.

#14 · (Edited)
confortar1 said:
I dont know you might be surprised what a good motor with a good set of vortecs will do.
:haha:....:doh:

Vortecs are not "good heads" they are good "budget" heads. Not saying they are bad, but they arent all that great. They are just good for the price, well not really :D

#16 ·
my truck sucks......i just went down the interstate to get here at work and had my ass handed to me by a (probably 4cyl) newer ford ranger. my top speed is around 110 with the gears im running unless i wanna start sling shit from under the hood tryin ro run 8k RPM's....i hate life..lol

#17 ·
i have a set of port and polished camel humps that flow pretty good on my older 350 and a performer rpm intake. but i have more done to my motor then just heads and a cam. my crank is knife edged with all fordged internals and the whole motor was balanced and blue printed. on the engine dyno it put down to the flywheel 423 hp. my guess with my t56 trans and 373 gear in the back i should be able to hang with the stock 03 04 cobras if not beat them. oh yeah if i get traction.

#18 ·
go to www.mortec.com to get a list of casting #'s

I'm having my engine built right now using pro topline heads, there better than the vortecs and just like $60 more.
Since you have a stock rebuild I assume you have low compression:rolleyes: so....I would just get a set of the pro topline's and a edelbrock rpm or professional products intake and see what happens. I think that's about all you can do short of building a better short block.

I think it would still be a challenge to beat a cobra, I mean if you had the power you would still need to get better traction somehow.

#23 ·
If you can do your own work, Professional Products advertises a set of complete aluminum heads for $899/pair and a Howard's cam and lifter kit for $99. Yes, you would have to pay shipping and get gaskets and such, but that's probably the best you can do with a thousand bucks. I'm not even going to weigh-in on the quality of said parts. I'll probably get reamed by 10.5 and stunningham for even suggesting using those chinese parts but speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? If you only want to go $1K faster, there is a route to look at. Otherwise, save up a little and get a really good set of heads from Brodix, AFR, etc. Big small-block HP is in the heads. The cam is secondary.

#25 ·
10.5_SUCKS said:
Spending $1k now to just replce it later with good parts is just insane... Save the cash, use the $1k to start a new block thats forged...Slowly put it togather then swap engines and surprise people.

Agreed. Since you have a 70's stock sbc, your compression is gonna be loooooooowwww as fock. Take your money and put it into a nice stroker motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.