S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 s10 with c a rod knock,and i have a good 1988.can i put the top end of the 07 on the 88 and use it in the 07. thanks

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
NO
Primarily because there is no such thing as an 07 S10.
And parts are rarely interchangeable between engines built 20 years apart.
Would help if you told us what engines you are talking about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i was tired.wondering if i could put the top end of my 1997 4.3 on a 1988 4.3 lower end

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
The 97 is a balance shaft with non adjustable rocker arms. The 88 is a non balance shaft with adjustable rockers. I do believe the 88 did have the roller cam, tho.
GM made so many variations of the 4.3 that the only way to find out is to try it. I think if you use the rocker arms off the 88 and the matching push rods it might just work. Not sure if the rocker arm studs will let you do that.
Do some research on putting a hotter cam in a 96 up 4.3. Some of the cam manufacturers explain what has to be done to put adjustable rocker arms on the 96+ engines.
Unless that 88 engine is really fresh or some other good reason to use it 96+ 4.3's are easy to find and run around $350 for a decent used one. Buy the time you buy intake and head gaskets and bolts you'll be half way there anyway. 96+ head bolts aren't reusable.
I just pulled a 4.3 out of my 99 with only 125K on it to put in a LQ9 6.0. You can have that one for the going rate. If you're in the Chicago area. Otherwise you can find one locally I'm sure.

Not listing my engine as a for sale item. Just mentioned it in passing as an example of whats out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
be alot easier to change out a connecting rod bearing and sayin a lil prayer.
fyi You CAN change rod bearings without touching top end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hay right on you guys,thanks for all the help.ill look in to that so ill know,but im going with rod bearings, heard it run its not to far gone .and thank you all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts