S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
stock is the new fixed up
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my heads are home from school. I didnt get as much done as I wanted, I just started porting and need the right bits with long shanks on them. I did 2 intake ports near the valve seat, just shaping with a carbide bit so far, havnt gotten into the stones yet.

Original shot.

Ported, notice how the top no longer has the taper in, goes straight into the valve.

Original shot.

Ported.

Overall.

Spring pocket and valve stem work.

Closeup on machining.

2.02/1.6" valves. :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
coming along nicely

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did you cut the valve seats yourself for the larger valves? If so, looks good.

I've been porting heads for a couple years now, it takes practice, but i'll get easier/faster.

Are you plannig on deshrouding the valves? Typically on SBC heads (of course similar to 4.3 heads) larger valves will flow less unless you deshroud the valves.

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the overall pic only 2 intake valves were worked on. Ive done all the work myself including valve seats, im not sure what deshrouding the valves is, but I did put a 25degree backcut on them to knock off the corner from the 45. I didnt want to get too crazy with the backcuts because I dont want to lose too much margin to seat on, this is going to be my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Its looking good, I wish I had the knowledge to port my own heads. There's a lot of good information on improving flow #'s on vortec heads around the internet. I wish I could point you to it, but I had a post about a year and a half ago where there was some awesome advice. Might be worth a search.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Another thing, since you got the heads off you might as well elongate the pushrod hole incase you ever want to run 1.6 rockers and machine the heads for 3/8" studs.

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mcgruff1 said:
Its looking good, I wish I had the knowledge to port my own heads. There's a lot of good information on improving flow #'s on vortec heads around the internet. I wish I could point you to it, but I had a post about a year and a half ago where there was some awesome advice. Might be worth a search.
Joe Mondello came to our class and gave us a demo on porting, he was there for like 4 or 5 hours. That guys crazy, the things he does to those heads is beautiful. So I know the trouble areas and high flow points, but still very basic. He teaches a class that costs $2500, and I just got a sneak peak basically. I have some before porting flow numbers, but those arent even at stock because I have the new valves in. Hopefully Ill get to flow the ported head tonight and see my gains.

As for the studs and rockers, I ordered some conversion studs 10mm to 3/8 and some comp 1.52 rockers.

·
diMEoNduBs
302 Posts
Could you tell me what the measurements on your valve seats are as far as the O.D. and depth are concerned? Pretty much any measurments you have pertaining to the valve seats would be a big help. Thanks man! Nice work btw!

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OD is .040" less than diameter of the valve. so intake is 1.980" and exhaust 1.560". I dont know what you mean by depth, but intake seat margin is .070" and exhaust .080" or .090". Grinding for the valves took forever until I got a hang of it.

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got some new parts in today.... :eek:

New ARP conversion studs, new 3/8 top - 10x1.50bottom on the left. Old 8mm top - 10mm bottom stud on the right pn. ARP-100-7201

New Comp Magnum 1.52 ratio rockers on left. pn CCA-1417-12 thanks to JDB for helping me find these :)

ignore that ugly valve, its the stocker.

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smoothed combustion chamber.

I still have lots more to do but keep putting it off. I think I lost motivation for the project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts