S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests I replaced the head gaskets in my two-wheel drive, 4.3 L 97 s10. After reassembling the engine I turned the key to the accessory mode, at this point, I could hear the fuel pump kick on and all of the dash lights were illuminated, I noticed that there was a lower than normal voltage reading on the dash. Turned the key over completely and everything shut off. Taking the key out of the ignition and trying again does nothing, no lights, no fuel pump sound, and no door ringing. I have checked the battery voltage which reads 12.3V (not connected to the battery terminals so there is no load on the battery). I have checked the fusible links attached to the bus bar under the hood on the driver's side and the fusible link that runs to the alternator directly from the battery, as well as the black and green fusible links that branch off of the main wiring harness (marked #1 in the picture below). All fusible links and the fuses in the fusebox located inside of the cab have continuity. When putting the alternator back on I wasn't sure where the black and green fusible link wires were supposed to go, after doing some research I concluded that the black and green fusible link wires attached to the stud on the alternator along with the positive battery wire. Could someone verify if this is the case or do the black and green fusible link wires go to the ground like in the picture below marked #1. I don't believe this is caused by a ground issue because the circuit worked the first time I tried to start the truck. I suspect that this is caused by a blown fuse or a bad relay. I can ensure that the wires that ground to the back of the cylinder head were reinstalled during reassembly. Any advice on how to fix my issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the alternator, now it cranks but will not start. All dash lights stay on all the time. Any thoughts?
if you turned the key on and all power went out, thats battery/battery cables/connections

·
It's mostly BS
2,933 Posts
I replaced the alternator, now it cranks but will not start. All dash lights stay on all the time. Any thoughts?
Could be a bad ignition switch. See if you are getting power to the pink wire on the ICM or to the ECM igntion fuse with key on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts