S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been reading some old GM service manuals for the S10 (I think they are from 2004 and 1997) and in the cylinder head installation instructions they don't mention anything about permatex or even an oil coat on the head bolts.

I'm not experienced with that but both the Haynes manuals and all of the videos I saw on youtube say to use permatex 2 (I guess this is if the coolant passages go through the bolt holes) or at least a light coat of oil before putting the bolts back in.

I was surprised that GM manual didn't mention anything. Are those bolts really supposed to go dry?

Let me know your thought on that...

Thks

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I have never used oil on a stock head bolt. I have used thread sealer on the threads when going into a water jacket.

·
Been there Done it
8,938 Posts
Never oil head bolts. It the engine you're working on is pre 96 you can put ARP thread lube on them. It is designed to not alter torque readings like oil does.
On 96 up engines the NEW TTY bolts will have a combination lube/sealant already on the threads. They are not supposed to be reused. If you want reusable ones get a set of the older head bolts. I have a bucket full of them from engines that were scrapped.
The best thing to use on heads are studs. You can put sealant on the lower threads and install the nuts and washers dry or with ARP lube. They are reusable and there is no risk of stripping the threads on the block as the studs themselves only screw in finger tight.

Reactions: oldgold1985
1 - 3 of 3 Posts