S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time working on the 4.3l, and first time encountering the angle torque thing. I bought a gauge from Amazon, and started, but it feels like some bolts got torqued more than others. When I use my torque wrench some of the long bolts click at around 70lbs and others feel like they could keep going.. will this be an issue. I know at the very least I moved every bolt 75/65/55 degrees, but I think some went more...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I assume you are being mindful of sequence. Listen closely at around the 5:30 point on about when to actually bring the tool into play. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was yes, I'll watch the video thank you. My question is, if I think I did the wrong, can I undo the bolts and start again? Or are these torque to stretch and can't be re torqued?

·
Registered
255 Posts
afaik- oem head bolts (TTY)are not reusable. To be honest I'm not sure that applies if you havent hit the full torque...but then how would you really know if they got to that point? when possible,I use ARP bolts of the same size,that are reusuable. There are guys on here that are waaayyyy more versed on these things,I'm sure they'll chime in. The holiday weekend seems to have things slowed down around here a bit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know you can't reuse the head gaskets 😎 and the torque to yield head bolts are not reusable either , because they get stretched when you go past the last torque value & go the extra measurement...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Make sure the threads are properly lubed and the nut turns freely. Crusty threads will show a higher torque sooner, with the bolt's clamping force less than what was specified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts