S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got a tubular poly bushing that appears to slide over the coil on the LCA side although I don't know exactly where to place the bushing on the spring to get proper alignment and I don't see where the bushing is installed in this tutorial. Let's resurrect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im trying to put in a 2" rough country lift kit in my 2wd 1995 reg cab. i cant find a coil compressor that will work with the lift coils. once i get the coil to a certain point the angle of the threaded rod changes and it springs. do they make a lift coil spring compressor that will seat correctly? i dont feel like losing a finger.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Let's see if I can simplify what Bruce (sapperb) said...

The toe adjustment is achieved by either making the tie rods longer or shorter by turning the tie rod sleeve one way or the other. The tie rods have oppisite threads on them so if you turn the sleeve one way both ends turn out making the unit longer and vice versa.

Ok so if your tires are like this / \ (imagine your are looking down at the tires from a above) the measurement would be less at the front side of the tire compared to the back side of the tire, this is called "toe in". IF you measured and the front was wider the it would be like this \ /, or toe out. You want the tires to be inline or very slightly (1/16th inch) toe in. I measure between the same two tread blocks, or outer edge of the tread, at the same point on the tire, adjust, test drive, and repeat untill I'm happy. I got my girlfriends Blazer almost right on for toe in three tries according to the alignment shop we go to.
Thanks Bill...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am in the process of redoing my front end. I installed new bushings and ball joints, tie rod rods. The whole nine. I have a question about reinstalling my springs though. I am putting the stock springs back in and was wondering if it was a certain end that goes up. I notice that when the spring is sitting on something flat, one end it will sit up straight and the other end it will lean looking like it is going to fall over. Can anyone tell me which end goes to the top. This is a great post by the way. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

there should be a paint mark for the top, if the paint is worn off the the flat end is the top.

and remember When you install your coil spring into the lower control arm you must make sure the end of the spring sits between the two inspection holes or the coil spring will not seat correctly into the Lower control arm

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used this write up and did my 2002 Chevy Blazer over the weekend and it wasn't that bad of a job to do. My question ride height is where it was before but how long does it take for the springs to go back to the same ride it had before? Spring are installed correctly I know that to be true.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know I am replying here 6 years later but I used this post to install my springs just finished the whole new front end on 2016 Labor Day week end drives like a new truck with 250000 miles on it. Just wanted to say I used the spring compressor shown it was way long springes on my 2wd s10 2003 4.3l are 13.5 inches long uncompressed and néed to be 11 inches to fit in the Lca and upper pocket the top of the bolt was 3 inches above the top of the spring my solution was to cut a piece or 3/4 inch black pipe and make a plug spacer put it on with the washers worked great. Thankes for the great write up I am sure this will help people for many more years and the s10 stay as popular as they are now.

·
DILLIGAF
441 Posts
I recently install 3.5" springs on mine. The trick I used was to drill out the top shock hole to 5/8 and take the top hooks off the spring compressor. I then ran the threaded bolt down through the top shock hole and compressed the spring upwards. It worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I recently install 3.5" springs on mine. The trick I used was to drill out the top shock hole to 5/8 and take the top hooks off the spring compressor. I then ran the threaded bolt down through the top shock hole and compressed the spring upwards. It worked like a charm.
:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am hoping someone can help me with this. I'm in the process of isntalling the rough country kit for my dad on his 2002 s10. Drivers side front lift done. Passenger side i cannot for the life of me get the spring to seat in both the upper cup and the lower control arm. I have the internal spring compressor and it's VERY compressed... enough to make me nervous. when i put the spring in the upper cup (no, the compressor bolt it not hitting), and i bring up the lower control arm to meet the bottom of the spring, it will not fit into the groove where the spring is supposed to go. literally messed with it for 5 hrs. and input?

·
DILLIGAF
441 Posts
Once compressed I used a "come along" hooked to the opposite side to pull the spring into place. You situation may be different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually thought about doing that. Does anyone know the measurement of the spring compressed top to bottom it needs to be to fit in? Today I went and rented the spring compressor that is in this thread.... I placed it 5 coils apart like the pic and I have it compresses to where it’s about an inch shorter than the stock spring. (Remember these are the rough country longer springs). So I think it’s compressed about 2 inches total. Still won’t go in. I’m getting really frustrated

·
time to get cereal
5,184 Posts
You don't need to compress the springs on an S10. You just use a pry bar and jack the control arm up.

Old and useless thread.

·
time to get cereal
5,184 Posts
The original post is about stock springs. Longer springs are probably a different story, but also I imagine the geometry with those is pretty terrible.

·
time to get cereal
5,184 Posts
Why do you need a pic? It's pretty self explanatory. I didn't have any pictures the first time I did it. You just stick the bar through the coil and pry up on the inside part of the spring. You might wiggle it around a bit, but you're not going to break anything. Once you do it once, you'll wonder why you ever thought it was difficult.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.