S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
Best to have isolater in, keeps it seated(doesn't move around the seat while driving on turns) and no metal to metal noise. Best to tape it before installing it so doesn't move too much.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I seen a write up on this but it was for a drop spring and this guy just removed his LCA? By removing his LCA i mean he removed the the 2 bolts where it mounts to the frame

Matt

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I seen a write up on this but it was for a drop spring and this guy just removed his LCA? By removing his LCA i mean he removed the the 2 bolts where it mounts to the frame

Matt
that is how the service manual says to do it, by removing his LCA. with lift springs it is a major pain to use that method, trying to line the LCA with the frame and bolting it back together.
The pro's use a coil spring compressor and so do it.

With a drop spring you should be able to install the spring without the aid of a coil spring compressor or removing the LCA, I know I was able to on my 89

·
Registered
65 Posts
My auto parts store says that an internal spring compressor will not work for me because I have shocks in the middle. He recommends me to rent the external, but from all of your pictures I see that the compressor slides through the shock hole. If he has an external compressor, is there anything I should know before I use one? Thanks

·
Size Matters
344 Posts
My auto parts store says that an internal spring compressor will not work for me because I have shocks in the middle. He recommends me to rent the external, but from all of your pictures I see that the compressor slides through the shock hole. If he has an external compressor, is there anything I should know before I use one? Thanks
Tell your autoparts store guy he is an IDIOT!!!!:rant: All S10's come stock with the shocks in the middle of the springs (he should know that). You have to remove the shock before using the internal spring compressor.

Don't even bother with an external spring compressor. Just get the internal and follow the tutorial above. :D

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
Yeah, it's useful to compress outside then have inside compress so it'll compress to a lot smaller height to make it easier if you have weak impact gun.

And as Blackie said, they are an idiot, you just have to remove shocks, he was thinking of STRUTS :haha:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Im sure a big ratchet will work, But you will be greatful using an impact.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Almost done!!! Rearend complete.....front end tonight. When done, I will create a new thread of my build with tons of pics...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Question. When I place the spring in the upper slot, the bottom needs to be shoved back to fit in place.I dont feel safe prying the spring back while it's in the compressor. Maybe it is....I don't know. Any suggetions how to get this thing in? You explained it well, but still doesn't work for me.....

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
That's why you compress it small enough to get in coil pocket and into lca pocket, with jack up onto it slowly.

I'll be doing this tomorrow, I'll try to get a video so it's clear and apprehensive to do so.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Done!!!! What a pain in the a$$!!!! Apparently, the spring compressor was a large one and the top of the bolt kept hitting the metal housing above keeping me from compressing it anymore. I finally learned that adding a few washers to the compressor allowed me that much more room to compress.
I also found that jack placement was "key" in this installation. With having the spindle installed on the LCA, you have to put the jack in towards the spring, which screws you up when you lift. You can only lift so high before the body starts to go up. Then you need a second jack(with a small head) to just barely grab the lip by the LCA's ball joint. Once you lift with this one and release the other jack, you can then scoot it back enough to get the small one in the right spot to do the job.
This may only be a factor with my jacks and not others. One of my jacks have a huge head on it and the other a small head, so maybe it is just me......but it's all said and done!!!!! My build thread is listed in my signature.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The jack should not be a problem, just slide the jack under the lower control arm to hold the spring into place, once the coil spiring is installed

slowly start jacking the lower control arm up.

Carefully guide the upper ball joint shaft into the top of the spindle as you jack the lower control arm up, now install the ball joint nut and tighten.

Now you can lower the jack and remove your internal coil spring compressor, reinstall your front shock, brake caliber and tie rod end to your spindle.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Done!!!! What a pain in the a$$!!!! Apparently, the spring compressor was a large one and the top of the bolt kept hitting the metal housing above keeping me from compressing it anymore. I finally learned that adding a few washers to the compressor allowed me that much more room to compress.
I also found that jack placement was "key" in this installation. With having the spindle installed on the LCA, you have to put the jack in towards the spring, which screws you up when you lift. You can only lift so high before the body starts to go up. Then you need a second jack(with a small head) to just barely grab the lip by the LCA's ball joint. Once you lift with this one and release the other jack, you can then scoot it back enough to get the small one in the right spot to do the job.
This may only be a factor with my jacks and not others. One of my jacks have a huge head on it and the other a small head, so maybe it is just me......but it's all said and done!!!!! My build thread is listed in my signature.
if your stall having trouble, you can blame those stiff a$$ fabtech coil springs, those springs have a spring rate of 800 lbs per spring, most people can't even compress them enough because of the spring rate :rant:

·
Registered
65 Posts
In that pic above, you can see how bowed it is. The reason for this is because the spring compressor bolt hit the top wall(right next to where the shock bolt goes through. It was alot of pressure on the spindle bolts, but once I had a few good turns of the nut on both upper and lower ball joints, I loosened up the compressor and the spring staightened up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had to cut the end down on the tool so the stupid thing would fit into the top of the spring pocket. Once cranked down the stud stuck so far up. Is it just me or are the 5664 coils a pain to compress? Was using a ratchet and a breaker bar just to be able to compress it once it got to a certain point.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.