S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be going number of members who are having trouble installing coil springs when lifting their 2wd S-series trucks and SUV’s. The service manual says to remove the LCA set the coil in place and use a jack to raise the coil and LCA back into place and bolt everything back up.

Fabtech Motorsports says to use two long pry bars and pry the coil into place.

Both methods of installing coil springs are a pain in the a$$, myself and others have found an easier way when installing coil springs on 2wd S-series trucks and SUV’s.

First determine what springs you want to use for your application, in this case we are going to install a set of Moog 5662 coil springs on a 4cyl. S10 pickup with a std. cab, our goal is to achieve around 1” to 1.25” of lift.

Second rent or buy an internal coil spring compressor, if you decide to buy one make sure it’s good one, a cheap one can break and cause injury or you or others.

Next you want to install your internal coil spring compressor to the inside of your coil spring. At this time I would recommend that you attach the rubber insulator to the top of your coil spring, I have found that tape works good to hold the insulator in place doing insulation.

Here is the compressed spring next to the uncompressed spring, notice the placement of coil spring compressor.

You are now ready to install your coil spring, insert the top of the coil into coil spring bucket at the frame first.

When you install your coil spring into the lower control arm you must make sure the end of the spring sits between the two inspection holes or the coil spring will not seat correctly into the Lower control arm.

With the coil spring in place, you can now set a jack under the lower control arm and slowly start jacking the lower control arm up.

Carefully guide the upper ball joint shaft into the top of the spindle as you jack the lower control arm up, now install the ball joint nut and tighten.

Now you can lower the jack and remove your internal coil spring compressor, reinstall your front shock, brake caliber and tie rod end to your spindle.

Don’t forget to set your toe by adjusting your tie rods and take your vehicle to be aligned by a professional

·
is out cruisin...
1,619 Posts
great post but i still have one small question: when you are taking the internal coil spring compressor out of the middle of the coil (assuming the nut on the compressor is facing up towards the sky), where and how do you totally take the compressor out? can you be specific? thanks for any help...

·
Registered
164 Posts
never mind.. its already stickyed lol

·
Size Matters
344 Posts
great post but i still have one small question: when you are taking the internal coil spring compressor out of the middle of the coil (assuming the nut on the compressor is facing up towards the sky), where and how do you totally take the compressor out? can you be specific? thanks for any help...
Look at the third picture up from the bottom of the pictures....you will see the spring compressor nut is on the bottom facing down. You simply uncompress it and pull it out of the coil bucket towards the ground.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats why I install the compressor to the coil like this instead to the ends of the coil

Once the coil is installed and the upper balljoint is tightened to the spindle just lower the jack and unscrew the compressor and remove it through the shock cutout in the lower control arm.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hey 89,
But you didn't include the easiest way to install them. let some one else do it!!!!!!:rotf:

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
Excellent how-to. This is also helpful when installing a stock or drop coil spring. If folks will only read this. Good job.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey 89,
But you didn't include the easiest way to install them. let some one else do it!!!!!!:rotf:
what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You can rent one from Autozone, or you can buy one.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yes it might be an issue. The end of the spring must lay in the low groove spring indentation on the LCA. That means that your springs aren't seated properly and you might want to re-seat them especially since you are running the stiff ass fabtech springs.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.