S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Got keyless door handles?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I got a 12" Kicker CompVR powered by a Kicker KX400.1 and the stock headunit. I have a 2003 Blazer Xtreme. As far as a box I am playing around with a 4 cubic foot sealed enclosures. My problem is that the subs will bottom out during real fast bass sequences. What can I do to fix this? I am thinking of switching to a 2 cubic foot slot ported enclosure, would this help?

·
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says anywhere from 1.75 to 4.6.

·
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested my amps draw with the voltometer and its pulling about 14 volts, which is pretty good. So, you're saying that my sub is probably bottoming out due to lack of power caused by box size. The sub is making like a popping kinda noise during short and deep bass tones.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Think of the air in a sealed box as a "spring" for the sub. A smaller box has a stiffer spring, a larger box, a softer spring. When you build a huge sealed box the air inside doesn't have as much control over the sub's cone, so bottoming out becomes easier. Basically the as the box gets larger and larger it becomes closer and closer to behaving like freeair (no cone control from the air "spring"). A sub with a good motor but soft suspension may take 800 watts in a small sealed box, but bottom out at 300 watts in a large sealed enclosure.

Like I said above, with a box that large I would port it. If you don't like the results you can go with a smaller sealed box, so really there is no loss (other than the time to port it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts