S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I am debating on either just doing a set of roller rockers or spending less money and getting a cam but dealing with a way more indepth install. My question is, how did you deal with the timing cover and how it supposedly doesn't come off unless the oilpan is taken off? Is that even real? I have no problem with getting everything else off and out of the way, but if I get everything off to find out the timing cover cannot be taken off I will be aggrivated among other things and may actually just throw the hood back on and let it rot (well maybe not). I have seen that some people say the rockers are a good mod, others I have seen say you won't notice much of a difference, if that is the case why waste $300 on slp rockers when I can spend $250-ish on a camshaft and definitely notice a difference?

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Last time I checked the oil pan isnt that hard to take off... A few bolts and its off

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The oilpan only needs to be loosened, like the first 4 bolts on each side and you can get the cover off.

·
Static> Bags
2,596 Posts
you dont have to pull the oil pan to do a cam.

We did a cam on a buddies o1 and we didn't pull the oil pan.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
If the timing cover is the same as a 350 you can trim the part that holds the seal against the pan to help it fit back in. Getting it out is the easy part. after re-installing cover be sure to seal around edges with silicone, the covers usually leak some unless you remove the oil pan. You can also buy two piece covers so that you dont have to loosen the oil pan to change the camshaft.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
No dont do any of that. Trimming it works but may cause an oil leak. You can do it without touching the oil pan. It takes patience to get the lip of the timing cover over the front part of the gasket. It is possible I did it!

btw if you have any questions ask. I did a cam/head/lifter/rocker arm swap less than a week ago, and it runs so we must have done somthing right.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thanks for all the information guys, I will keep it in mind that it can be done without touching the oil pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts