S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Chevy s10 2wd 4cyl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a big old bel air cabover camper shell on my 4 cyl s10....it ran really slow up hills and after a few hours of driving sometimes the truck would even slowly gut out, loose all acceleration until I eventually have to pull over and wait a few minutes and get back on the road just fine...I didn’t wanna hurt my truck and keep driving with this rig on there from now on..My question is what do you think is the appropriate shell/camper weight for a 4cyl manual..the one I had before was a bout 500-600lbs and seemed to be too much on my truck. Is it bad for my truck to push it like this...it has 120,000 miles

·
Been there Done it
9,290 Posts
The combination of weight and wind resistance seems a bit much for a 2.2l.
Theoretically it shouldn't hurt the truck, but in reality the Tutu has an Achilles heel, if you ever overheat it, you ruin it. If you have to stop to let it cool down it's already too late.
A 4.3 truck would still not be happy with a camper. (I didn't say cap.) But if it gets a bit hot it can tolerate it a bit better. To a point.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe the 10 is rated for 2000 lb towing which you probably not over but as oldeerslayer said wind resistance becomes a factor. You should have a 4.11 rear but it looks as if you have larger tires which would once again hurt. A larger radiator will help and don't lug the engine - downshift the hills and you might want to stay in 4th.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it's bogging you need to drop down a gear and keep the RPM over 2500 under 4000 steady state.
If it's an Auto trans pull it out of OD.

·
Super Moderator
20,519 Posts
Bad? As long engine isnt overheating. Flush fluids bit more often, brake rotor are not cooking, stay in 3rd or 2nd depending on speed/grade scale.

With that said, I recommend selling/trading the truck.

4.3 helps but fullsize gets the job done without blinking an eye.

I still have my S10 for daily and 3/4 ton for the towing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts