S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so please bear with me.
I recently purchased a 97 s-10 short bed with a 4.3. I am trying to determine if it has been lowered in the front and if so how.
The front end looks much lower than the back (more than normal). If the truck has been lowered by heating or cutting the coils I want to replace them with 2" drop coils but first I need to determine if its been lowered and how it was done.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
drive over to an s10 parked some where maybe a dealership and measure or you can do it by eye and see if yours is lower or not

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I compared it to a stock truck and it has been lowered around 2 inches. Is there anyway to determine if they replaced the original springs or if they modified the original springs by heating or cutting?

·
stuck static
2,440 Posts
look at your coils and see if they are a different color other then black. most drop coils are different color depending on the brand, for example i have beltec springs and there purple a buddy of mine as ground zero springs and his are blue. if they are black u can pull the coil out and see if there are cut marks on it or if coils are smashed together

·
stuck static
2,440 Posts
look at your coils and see if they are a different color other then black. most drop coils are different color depending on the brand, for example i have beltec springs and there purple a buddy of mine as ground zero springs and his are blue. if they are black u can pull the coil out and see if there are cut marks on it or if coils are smashed together

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
Jack up your truck and take the wheel off one side and look at the coils. stock coils are black like everyone mentions and drop spindles have numbers in the back that will tell you who made them. If you jack up the truck and turn the wheel to the right or left look right behind the spindle and if it has like a 2100 or bell foundry in the back then you have drop spindles.

·
Squid Life
1,771 Posts
To tell if you have drop spindles...look at the back and see where the spindle is mounted:

Stock:

Dropped:

See how much higher the dropped spindle location is?

...and my 2" BellTech coils are a dark grey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts