S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on my bed, and the support crossmembers are shot. I know nobody makes a support rail kit, I was wondering if anybody has tried to modify full-size crossmembers to make them work. If not I’m probably going to have new ones bend to match the factory ones.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,100 Posts
check your local big box hardware- they sometimes carry metal supplies- look for a rectangular tube stock in 1/2 by 1 in a six foot length.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buying metal isn’t the problem, I have accounts with several metal supply house in my area. I’m just super picky on making things right. Sure I could use square tube stock and it would work but really is that the correct way on doing it probably not. I want the flat flanges on the sides so it can but plugged welded down. I might even pop rivet them back on so I don’t burn up the epoxy coating on the new rails or the bed. I might just get 14 GA. flat metal and bend them on a brake to closely match the OEM supports. I have not cut corners on my build yet, so I don’t want to now even though you won’t see them because there under the bed. I’m trying to build it to last so building it right the first time does pay off.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,100 Posts
ok- i did not add the details- sorry- did a rebuild with the tubing- drilled a 3/4 hole thru bottom and (2) 1/4 holes thru top for welding attachment , then boxed the ends in- i live in New England and the rails are usually the first thing to start the cancer creep of rust death.and not square- rectagular- mimics the hump in oem but boxed in- is stronger and also can be used to fish wires .i have no access to a brake, or the room to add one- garage is also my wood shop- all work on vehicles done on my back in driveway...... had a guy that saw my bed and did simular- but got the tubes powder coated and then used marine grade hardware and did a C10 look with oak 1/2 by 2 strips for entire bed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn’t knocking your build sorry if it seemed that way. I also have a everything shop too but I have a lot of machinery. I’m hoping a guy that know is going to be able to bend them up for me, cause my brake won’t bend metal quite that heavy

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,100 Posts
no problems- just a different approach to the same issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts