S-10 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Stop & go traffic in NYC, 3rd avenue from 14th street to 59th street. Not quite a gridlocked traffic jam. 88 degrees outside. AC on.

"Better" water pump, stock radiator (less than a year old) properly topped off and bled cooling system, LHS fans at full speed.

Oil & transmission coolers in radiator not used, external coolers installed.

Engine temps passed 220 degrees, never got below 210 even when I got onto a highway.

This is why I need that bigger better radiator.

This truck is my work vehicle. I need 100% reliability.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
WOW. that's crazy. yes you need a bigger radiator before its too late. I see 100+ temps in alabama in the summer. so 88 seems mild to me.

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
That is ridiculous...

I can sit in traffic in 90 degree weather with the AC on and maintain 200-210 degrees. I've never seen it go above and once I jump on to highway/turn off AC it goes right back down.

And thats with the stock rad/clutch fan w/ Oil/Trans cooler inside!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using a spectra brand radiator since January, no problem. never run over 200 in south carolina with AC. Stock everything else

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, it's been pretty hot here in NYC. I've already hit 230 degrees operating temps. The engine has like half it's power. What a slug. EVERY other vehicle can pull away from me.

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
I don't understand why everyone wants to start dumping tons of money into "high-performance" parts to solve their problems. The stock cooling components maintain ~210 degree operating temps. If yours is not, then there is a problem that needs to be addressed. If your truck is all stock and the problem is your stock rad, then the problem is pretty much limited to it being clogged internally or externally. Cleaning it or replacing it with a new one would solve this. Sure, you could always upgrade if you wanna spend the extra money, but it's not absolutely necessary. "Performance" water pumps are what I laugh at. Stock replacement is fine IF that is in fact your problem. I strongly believe that the only cooling system component worth upgrading on an all-stock engine with a perfectly fine stock radiator, water pump, etc. is to convert to an electric fan. If all your stock components were operating as designed the temps shouldn't go much over 210 when idling on the worst day. Of course, the fan clutch would be locked up to maintain these temps, and this would drag the power down in addition to the timing being retarded.

Clean or replace whatever is causing the higher temps, then convert to an electric fan. If you keep the temps down to 210 or below in the first place and have an e-fan, the timing wouldn't be retarded and you wouldn't have the mechanical fan bogging it down. It would be so much more peppier in city driving.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I agree with everything you say.

However, everything I have is pretty much new. The "better" water pumps on the market (I believe) simply have a better rotor or disc behind it.

My radiator is certainly not clogged.

In my experience, every GM vehicle I've ever owned ran hot-even cars I bought new.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts