S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been fighting with this for the past three weeks (work full time on the railroad, so I only get a few hours a day in on it).

Truck is a 1998 GMC Sonoma, 2.2l, 5-speed.

On my way home from work one night, not paying attention, I put it in 5th gear at too low a speed (causing the engine to shake, since it just didnt have the power to go.) Before I had time to push the clutch back in (less than 1 sec.) the engine just simply shut off. Before this, every once in a while the truck would buck while going down the road at cruising speed with no throttle, didnt feel like it was missing, it would just buck. It would only do it when there was no load on the engine.

What happens now, is the thing will fire as soon as you turn the key, but then will just crank without firing from there on out.

Checked spark, and I get spark for the first two revolutions (sometimes up to 4), and then nothing after that (or sometimes no spark at all during cranking).

If you keep shutting off the key, and trying to start it enough, eventually it will start up and idle.

The truck idles fine, and smooth, no codes come up on the computer, and everything seems normal.

If you bring up the throttle very slowly, you can get it all the way up to the rev limiter without a problem. But if you stab the gas, or hit the gas too hard (rapid rpm changes) at about 1/2 throttle, the engine will just simply shut off, it doesnt miss or anything, it just simply shuts down. It also does this while accelerating down the road.

I am completely stumped as to what it could be. Since I had a ton of new parts laying around from another truck (98 s-10, same engine, etc.), I replaced the TPS, Ignition Module, Crank posistion sensor, air filter, plugs and wires, all with new parts, with no change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should say that we also checked fuel pressure, along with replacing the filter.

Pressure with key on, engine off is 60psi, while engine is running, it hovers at 41psi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, just think I found the problem...

If I short out the #3 plug wire directly to ground (even though it is bad for the coil) the truck runs perfectly fine (minus the miss on #3 since it is disconnected). If I unground the plug wire while it is running, the whole engine simply stalls. Gonna try a new coil and see where that leaves me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turned out it was just a coil that caused those complex symptoms. Guess I should have started with the simple stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Iam new to this but I have a 2000 S10 2.2l and have a simular problem, the truck starts rough, hard start and once started will not stall on at idle unless accelerator pressed slightly, and check engine light is on and the code is p0300 which means multiple eng misfire, once I reset the code it drives fine but will not stay on idle, I have tied a wire to keep the throttle open ajar to keep the engine running but it is wasting lot of fuel, I have replaced:
New champion plugs
Head Gasket (when I bought the truck thermostat stuck and overheated)
Thermostat
Water Pump
Flex Pipe
O2 Sensor (Catalyic)
Catalyic Converter
Starter
New Battery
Brake Pads And Rotors
PLEASE HELP ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
I read on the forums and it seems to point towards Idle air control, but I have taken it out and turn the key on off and it seems to retract and extend fine, oh ya sometimes when the engine is warm it seems to idle fine with the wire removed? Funny I can't seem to fined the problem

·
Bobby B!!!
320 Posts
if you give it gas after start up will it stay running? if it does i would look at the IAC (idle air control). other then that idk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts