S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
LS1 powa!
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here run hard line for their air? I have been thinking about using it, but I have a few questions, like difficulty level, material and what fittings need to be used. Whats your opinions?

·
Canyon Carver
2,855 Posts
It's not too hard. I used stainless line and stainless Swagelok compression fittings. Obviously it's a little tougher bending the line then it is running flexible hose. I bought a couple pieces of steel hard brakeline to practice with at first since it's really cheap. The hardest bends will be in spots where you'll have 2 angles going in 2 different planes. It helps to draw a line down the length of the tubing so that you can keep it orientated the same direction at all times. Also you'll want to bend a little at a time. It's easier to bend more then it is to bend the line back. It tends to look like crap if you do that. And your also going to have the spots where you may have to make several bends before your able to test fit it because of the excess line getting in the way. Good measurments and a little luck will help with that.

Pro's
--------
- Virtually indestructable
- Can run it near heat
- Able to make tight bends
- Very clean looking

Con's
-------
- More expensive
- More time consuming setting it up
- Higher difficulty level
- Harder to reroute after it's finished

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
just make sure you use soft line where you do need it.
and mounting hardlines solidly is a must

·
LS1 powa!
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there better options for mounting hard line clamps besides using a self tapping style screw?

·
Layed Out Fabrication
2,164 Posts
Are there better options for mounting hard line clamps besides using a self tapping style screw?

yeah but almost all of them you have to drill a hole and then tap it, to mount the clamp

·
LS1 powa!
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it matter where or what kind of copper tubing I buy? And would I just use compression fittings to connect everything?

·
LS1 powa!
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What about PTC fittings? I think thats what was used in that article in Sport Truck. Im still new to all this, so I don't know what all types of fittings are available that work well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
copper is indeed a very soft metal... it needs to be properly secured to prevent cracking or work hardening. copper to metal rubbing/vibration can become an issue so use rubber grommets thru holes and proper clamps to hold copper lenths along the frame rails... i have run nothing but copper on 3 dif bagged trucks, 1 of them driven daily for 4+ years and never had a problem

·
Stepsides are cool
1,182 Posts
copper is indeed a very soft metal... it needs to be properly secured to prevent cracking or work hardening. copper to metal rubbing/vibration can become an issue so use rubber grommets thru holes and proper clamps to hold copper lenths along the frame rails... i have run nothing but copper on 3 dif bagged trucks, 1 of them driven daily for 4+ years and never had a problem
im about to do mine like this. i would love to run stainless but my dad is doing a 56 ford and did stainless brake lines/fuel lines and had about 2000 in line/fittings. looks badass though! lol

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
as mentioned, any flexing in the copper line will wear it down, and it will crack/leak
properly securing and using softline at necessary points is a must

·
User Registered
1,931 Posts
I was never a fan of copper, and it's not exactly classified as a hard line as a stainless steel line would be classified. swadgelok is top of the line in hard line connector's in my opinion.Also curious as to what you see that's beneficial to you with a copper setup?

·
Stepsides are cool
1,182 Posts
I was never a fan of copper, and it's not exactly classified as a hard line as a stainless steel line would be classified. swadgelok is top of the line in hard line connector's in my opinion.Also curious as to what you see that's beneficial to you with a copper setup?
its free for me and you dont see it everyday

·
User Registered
1,931 Posts
free copper? with the rapid rise in the cost of copper you need to sell that sh!t now... and i actually see it quite often... on trailer queens... it spilts, it cracks, it kinks, it corrods... just common sense in my complete opinion...

·
Stepsides are cool
1,182 Posts
free copper? with the rapid rise in the cost of copper you need to sell that sh!t now... and i actually see it quite often... on trailer queens... it spilts, it cracks, it kinks, it corrods... just common sense in my complete opinion...
yep if work gives me two rolls of copper for a job and i only use 1 1/2...i got a half of roll of copper for free and yea it def. is not as great as stainless but I havent saw it alot. copper just went down $0.80 in the last 3 weeks....not the greatest time to sell.

·
User Registered
1,931 Posts
Hey that's cool man do what's "different" i'm not putting you down just giving my opinion... never thought brass fittings and copper went together but the stainless steel fittings and copper tubing could look good depending on the scheme of your truck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts