S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my recliner handle broke off....i have had this problem before......how hard is to fix it without taking it to the dealer.....i dont want my bagged truck at the dealer and they mess with it..........can someone tell me how to fix it if i get the part????:idea:

·
32,797 Posts
The piece cost $2.50 at the dealer. I bought one, but I can't get it back on. It looks like you gotta pound it into place.

But don't listen to me, I still haven't tried to put it on yet:(

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can anyone help us and tell us how to put the damn thing on!!!!!!!!

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
if its the same as my 94, it SHOULD have a place for the teeth to go in, but it doesnt. i asked the dealership, they said you are supposed to pound it on so it will "make" the gaps for the teeths so it fits good. i just used a rubber mallet and i worked good.
hope this helps!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Don't know what year your truck is but the recliner handle broke off on my 99 awhile back. It was covered by warranty. If it's the handle I'm thinking of it's a bit*h to replace. The handle itself is plastic but to replace it there is a mechanism that has to be replaced under the upolstery and on the seat frame.

Attachments

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thats the piece that broke......if i got all the parts would i be able to do it myself

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ya, if you have the part you can do it yourself. I had to help the mechanic when he did mine. The hardest part was getting the upolstery out of the way. It clips on with long plastic rails along the bottom edge of the seat. Once you get that out of the way it's easy to see where everything bolts up.

·
Canuck w/Truck
624 Posts
Mine broke too! Stupid cheap ass white metal! I was told that the whole mechanism must be replaced. I'm going to check a junk yard.

·
32,797 Posts
danteisme said:
if its the same as my 94, it SHOULD have a place for the teeth to go in, but it doesnt. i asked the dealership, they said you are supposed to pound it on so it will "make" the gaps for the teeths so it fits good. i just used a rubber mallet and i worked good.
hope this helps!
Thats what I thought. You have to hit it on. And far enough in so that the metal clip will lock it on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Zac said:
It seems to be a problem because the dealer told me that they have to replace them quite often.
I had the same problem. The service center guy said they replaced them too. He doesnt know why GM would put POS metal in there.

Jay:bash: :bash: :bash:

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
seems like we should call up GM and tell them to make a recall on all the damn seats.......ive taken mine in 3 times already........this is BS:cuss: :madfinger GM

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, I just found out this weekend that it broke again!! My g/f wanted to recline in the truck so I was going to build a box so that she could. What a POS!!!

Jay

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i might as well just get brand new seats from like a honda or something so that i dont always have to take it back to the dealer

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry to bring this up from the dead but I just got my 98 s10 and damn recliner handle broke on me too! dealer wants 75 for it but but a hook up got it lowered to 45 bucks. Is there a thread about how to replace that recliner? I'm sorry but my old 92 integra's interior is still in excellent shape and this trucks interior is made of cheap plastic and is falling apart already. I agree on that there should be a recall on these thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts