S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a valve job on a 98 S10, 4.3 4x4 and am having more trouble trying to fix a torn cv boot. I can't get it stretched over the hub, can't find the tools necessary for a fix on the car. I haven't a clue about removing the shaft. I have read about possibly having bolts on the trans, prying it out etc. However, I read about others replacing the "half shaft". Several questions, forgive me please for being a rookie. Does the shaft come apart, separate to replace only "half" of the shaft? If I pull the shaft from the trans, will I need to also replace the inner boot? I've tried to find "split" or "EZ" boots, no one seems to have them in stock. Help Please!! Thanks. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Best to replace the shaft. after you return the core it will only cost like $60. Most likely will also have a lifetime warranty.
Thats alot of work to replace a boot, then in 6 months have the shaft go bad. trust me you will hate yourself.

Actually I dont even know if you can rebuild one of these.

heres how to take it out though :)

undo the cv shaft hub nut
undo brake line tab on upper control arm
EDIT!: take the brake caliper off & set it somewhere out of the way. cant believe i forgot that
separate tie rod from knuckle
unbolt top shock mount ( maybe bottom too, i forget)
undo top ball joint from knuckle
tap cv shaft in to separate from knuckle
lower the lower control arm & knuckle while pushing cv shaft in

once separated, tap the inner metal "flange" area with a piece of wood & hammer to seperate the retaining ring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JSMZ, learning as I go. I'm gonna replace the shaft, I'll let you know how it goes, again, thanks for the help. :)

·
Not stuck yet
969 Posts
Best to replace the shaft. after you return the core it will only cost like $60. Most likely will also have a lifetime warranty.
Thats alot of work to replace a boot, then in 6 months have the shaft go bad. trust me you will hate yourself.

Actually I dont even know if you can rebuild one of these.

heres how to take it out though :)

undo the cv shaft hub nut
undo brake line tab on upper control arm
EDIT!: take the brake caliper off & set it somewhere out of the way. cant believe i forgot that
separate tie rod from knuckle
unbolt top shock mount ( maybe bottom too, i forget)
undo top ball joint from knuckle
tap cv shaft in to separate from knuckle
lower the lower control arm & knuckle while pushing cv shaft in

once separated, tap the inner metal "flange" area with a piece of wood & hammer to seperate the retaining ring.
When I replaced my pass side half shaft I didnt have to unbolt tierods or ball joints. Just removed wheel bearing and Went to town with a pry bar. :dunno:

·
Registered
356 Posts
good for you. undoing the wheel bearing imo is more work in a tighter space. 3 bolts for the wheel bearing. two castle nuts for the way i described, 1 for the tie rod end, 1 for the upper ball joint.

I personally have a ball joint separator which makes it take about ohh, 30 seconds or so to separate them & doesnt damage them or their boots. very good investment if you rock an S-series.

·
Registered
356 Posts
anyway too bad you cant edit posts after 10 minutes. Anyway do it how ever trips your trigger. If your down with pry bars then go for it. I tend to stick as close to the book as I can, I tend to have less problems that way.

Chilton manual even wants you to completely remove the entire knuckle, not just undo the top ball joint like i do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts