S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I tried to sell this truck for my brother un-knowingly, my bro who is into mini trucks isnt very "mechanicly inclined" and doesnt know shit about them, well he put a down payment on this truck and ended up not being able to pay it off, so he never really got to have the truck, so its been sitting at this guy's house for a year now, well today me and a friend stopped by to see how Mad Mods did the body drop and how they solved some problems that I have encountered, well when we started looking I almost got pissed it was so bad, I'm going to list all of the things I noticed that wasnt really up to my standards, and you all tell me what you think.... Maybe I should make a poll... lol too bad my friend is going to buy the truck... First thing I'm going to fix some of the crap done to it...

Here it goes:
-Relocated shocks (with hydro's) going from the upper control arm to... you guessed it.... the lower control arm (hmmm)...
-The upper and lower control arms were cut in the center and raised up rather than use of spindles, the frame was extremely notched for both side's tie-rod's and the reinforcement looks like a welding class project (for beginers)...
-It has hydraulics on the front but it wont un-tuck 17's with rubber band tires (hmmm).... they didnt even need to tub the tires are so small...
-the front frame horns were cut and dropped but I guess they forgot to gusset...
-the passenger side wheel has bad marks from the lower control arm cutting into it...
-because they wanted to keep the air conditioning compressor they added an eclipse hood buble and welded it on top of the hood and cut where the pulley would hit (when you open the hood about 2 gallons of water comes out of the bubble)...
-the firewall is completly shaved without a/c but the compressor is still there...
-the bed was body dropped around 6" and then shimmed up with some 1/2" round tube and a ahndful of washers...
the bed side supports were fixed with some pieces of all thread (2 of them) and the rest were just un-bolted...
-the fuel filler wasnt relocated or even fixed they just cut the plastic mount and squeezed it in the fuel door (real nice when the tank is higher than the filler)....
-the filler plate for the back of the bed when it was body dropped was welded every other 2" or so...

Needles to say I'm not very happy with the truck itself or the work that was done by a shop of this stature, lol, with work like this I dont see how they got as far as they did... not to mention this truck used to belong to the owner himself....

Here is the truck, btw matt you can add this to your page if you want...

·
the spl king
298 Posts
looks like u got a project now

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I hate to say it, but he had high hopes for that truck, he is more of a dreamer, plus he buys things already done up, which pisses me off, when he found out he wasnt going to be able to get it he was like "I'll never find another truck like that bla bla bla..." I was like wtf, why find one when you can build one better...

If my friend does get it I'm gonna try to fix all of that stuff, I'd say most of it is going to be pretty simple, its not quite as bad as that copper truck that dave is working on... My friend may be trading a stock 2wd blazer for it, like an 89 with a 4.3... thats how bad this truck is now...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
hey if you get it make sure you take some of the washers out of the back. i can see from the picture that the bed gap dont match

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
I dont think its that bad. All of things you mentioned were bad, but they are pretty much all fixable. If he gets it for a good price then I dont think its a bad deal

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well now my bro is still trying to get it and he wants me to fix it for him a bring it up to indiana for him when its ready, I coubt he will be able to get it though...

And I do understand its not that bad, but why did they do some of this crap in the first place?? I'd figure a shop with experience wouldnt do crap like that...

·
harlem body kit has to go
1,170 Posts
please excuse my total ignorance here but what is wrong with mounting the shocks in the way that they did in the front?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
how about the wheel in the back buried in the front of the weel

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
litestab said:
please excuse my total ignorance here but what is wrong with mounting the shocks in the way that they did in the front?
It just moves up and down and not dapening anything. Kinda like welding a steel bar in the same place. It doesn't do anything.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its like welding the shock on a single piece of metal, whats the point, because think about it the upper and lower control arms bolt to the same spindle which is a solid mount between the two, and then at the other end they mount on the frame which is another solid point between the two, so the only movement on the shock would be when the camber changes... plus from what I understood its pointless to put shocks back on with hydros....

·
Lowered and Stuff
111 Posts
Well the not mechanically inclined dreamer got the truck, and pissed off his younger brother yet again. BTW the pictures posted on the mad mods site are pre body drop, the body drop itself was done at extensive in florida (according to mad mods shop owner when contacted regarding paint codes.) Anyways as bad as it sounds the truck does have it good parts and has plenty of room for my touch, the air condition is still hooked up not only is the compressor still in place but the rest of the plumbing and vent mechanism is as well, when my brother looked at the truck he didn't see the hoses run into the cab in another area of the firewall.

Say what you will but it's a good truck to bring back to life, also on another note the truck was built in 95 or 96 it still has slamfest stickers from 96 so that explains some of the not up to par work that my brother did and also didn't post.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ahh that pic is after the body drop...

But either way I guess I did jump the gun on my comments, it does have its quirks, but I guess what project doesnt.... Anyways my bro has the truck now and we started on it somewhat, I had to bend the right fender lip back in because the last owner tried to turn while down... probably tomorrow I'll start on the enourmous dent in the back and try to hook the hydraulics back up, its a mess right now, I'll throw together some pics when I start... After tonight I do have to say hydraulics ride like ass, and not having a heater sucks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts