S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on my new 180a alternator. Works great. First one Ive had in this truck that didnt whine, including the 3 factory units. Is the stock charging wire good enough or should I put on a bigger one like a 4ga? I think it has a 6ga. Also, wheres the best place to wire the electric fans pos. lead? The battery, alternator or distribution center on the firewall I want to make sure the fan gets the most juice when its on high. Right now I have it wired to the battery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Flex-a-lite instructions say the battery as opposed to the alternator (+) lead.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
I just got the 180 from alterstart in tx. The alt works better than my wore out stock one, but it doesn't seem to be putting out what is stated. Might get it tested sometime this week.

With ac (max, max fan, and taurus fan running), lights, and stereo going it still knocks the voltage down. Although with just the stereo going it rocks! Was testing yesterday in my garage, knocked a picture off the wall in the house and whenever I breathed through my nose, it would collaspe my nostrils!! lol, I had too much time on my hands yesterday. go alma gates #5.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new alternator I got was bad. Had to send it back yesterday. Im pissed. But after putting on the 4ga charging wire my stock alternator seems to be handling both fans now. Everyone keeps saying to change the neg. wire. Is that the one from the battery to the engine block? Ive already got a 4ga there.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
don't know. I checked the voltage, then put everything on high, with the volt meter still attached I touched some 4 ga between the engine block and neg terminal on battery, no change in voltage, so I think I am okay there.

You know what fuse size goes on the charging wire?

Got a 8ft piece of 4 ga from alterstart. Might relocate spiral cell battery to bed... have to look into it this weekend.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I had a problem for a long time. If I turned the key the dash gauge would stay in the red but read right when the engine was running. Since I put on the bigger charge wire the gauge reads right all the time. The voltage also stays steady at idle with fans and a/c on where with the stock cable the gauge would start to drop to the red zone after a couple of minutes. I used a 30" battery to starter wire from Autozone. Costs $4 and had ring connectors at both ends. fit perfectly. It doesnt have the fusible link though. In all the years Ive worked on cars Ive never had a problem with alternator wires so I'll leave it for now.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
that's kinda crazy, sounds like your fusible link was getting ready to let go. glad you got it fixed. Are you the one that put the negative feedback on ebay? just curious..

I am going to get my alt checked today after work to see if it is putting out what he stated. the autozone down the road from me has a trick little cart that will check your amperage idling and at fast idle. Will post the readings tonight/tomorrow.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I havent put any feedback yet. When I emiled them about the alt. failing and that I had it checked at Autozone they said Autozone had to be wrong. I told him that I had Autozone check it just to be sure and that I got the same results with my engine analyzer. Luckily I paid with a credit card so if they give me any crap I'll put a hold on the charge. They only have 2 neg. feedbacks out of about 800 so Im hoping it will be taken care of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts