S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpted from SS Hotrods.com

http://sshotrods.com/performance/s10/new4.3/maf/

Some of the S10 owners will cut the center bar out of the MAF. This was believe and wrote about on this site to give a gain in HP. After some questions came up the article was removed from the site until questions was answered. Removing the center bar will not give you a gain. Track times have proven that removing the bar will hurt performance. The reason is that air passing threw the MAF over the center bar will speed up. Gutting the MAF will allow more air to enter the intake but the air moving pass the MAF will slow down giving your computer a false reading. Aftermarket MAF that are bigger alter computer settings to be able to get a gain from the larger MAF. On one test 3 tenths was lost by removing the center bar.
Um....:wtf:

I did this mod and noticed a big-ass gain. Hell, it was a bigger gain than any of the other mods I've done. What gives? :dunno:

·
Rollin on 20s
60 Posts
uhhh....

Not sure bro... I gutted and bored out my MAF sensor, installed K&N Gen 2 FIPK and took off the restrictor plate all at the sametime and i noticed a big HP gain it was sweet!

I claim :bs: to that site! lol

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I wouldnt claim BS to that statement. 3 people have taken a moded MAF and a GMS unit to a dyno and also 2 ran it. 2 experienced drop in 1/4 times. 3 including myself ran it on the dyno and saw h.p #'s drop 5-7+h.p. The computers stock program can only see a certain amout of air, which is what the stock MAF is designed to read unaltered. Open it up remving the center bar and smooting it open more and the air entering is not now being directed and the elements, so therefore it gets a false reading of air entering. Altering MAF's other than removing the screen and or using a GMS will do you no good. Now get the motor to actually draw more air in beyond the stock programmed amount then get the GMS thats rated to see 250 GPM and get the OBD2 programmed to respond, thats a different story. OH and so you know thats over 250+ flywheels h.p before that amount of air would be needed over the 175 it was programmed for which would support 250-275, Sorry, dont believe but its the truth.

·
Rollin on 20s
60 Posts
964pt3

964pt3, So you had a modded MAF sensor and a non and ran them and saw a 5-7HP drop in HP? Just the stock one...

I dont see that man I really dont. But these computers are kinda funny too so who knows...

Now if you have the GMS then your cool cause its setup for more air.. Is that what your trying to tell me...

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
On some DYNO runs with mods on motors in general not S-10's but motors I have seen the HP numbers drop but the TORQUE numbers go UP. some guys maybe feeling the torque after gutting the MAF. I have seen motors that I'v played with over the years do this on the DYNO's. So HP is not eveything but TORQUE will get you to the next street light quicker!!!!!! :)

3-Billet Bowtie
4-255/45/18 Pirelli Zero's on HALO rims
5-Boston Acoustics speakers in doors/dash
6-Pioneer 6x9's in the back seat area
7-K&N GEN II
8-FlowMaster 40series with 2 1/4 pipe Magnaflow SS tip
9-2/3 DROP with Belltech Spindles and Blocks
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
12-JL amp and one 10” JL subwoofer
13-SS mirrors WHITE, matching handles
14-Shaved Emblems

And a list one mile long

·
Rollin on 20s
60 Posts
Photo

Photo,

LOL True dat!! :thumbup:

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
964pt3, Did you try the GMS unit on the dyno?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I borrowed a GMS and so did Kossuth on another board and we both experienced a drop in H.P. with it. As far as torque, I had better torque with the screen out vs. stock and less with the center bar removed. The GMS showed no change in toraue and thats because I believe its too large and opening slowing down air speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts