S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the world do you remove the guages in a 96 S10? My god, the things do not want to come out of that god forsaken hole in the dash.

Steering box is in the way. God forbid I have to remove that to just work with the stupid guages.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
I've got mine out, I can post pictures when it's light out tomorrow. Should just be a couple few screws holding the cluster in place....

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took all of those screw out. They are black, forgot the nut size. Got all five of them out. Then you have the silver one's that hold the plastic piece down.

There is no need to take them off, but when you go to pull the guages out...they don't come out, the steering box blocks them aswell as these retarted hanging plastic clips block the thing from busting free.

Really getting to me now.

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
it is very tricky, make sure that your steering wheel is leveled, after taking out the screws pop off the bottom (easy part). then you have to work the top of the gauge cluster towards you then it pops slight tugging needed (at least i needed to). If i remeber correctly you start with the left side just to make sure that the rear connection is cleared from the terminal. it will take some frustration and time but once you get it then it's easy. Side note: some of the dash and steering column plastic will bend so no worries.

oh yeah and the plastic cover doesn't have to come off but i think it helps (I got annoyed cleaning it all the time collects to much so i've nixed mine)

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got too frustrated with it, just followed the only white wire coming out of the firewall where the guages are. Spiced into it and now I got my tach wired up.

That guage cluster did NOT want to come out. If I had another I would not care about ripping the ****ing thing right out of there. We all know how much that probably costs at the dealership.

By the way. Happy New Years!

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
oh a probly not so common note but if you end up in a slavage yard, the gauge clusters for the 4.3s that have a tach, can replace your non-tach 2.2L gauge cluster. i pick one up for 40 bucks, course only problem with that is you mileage will be off, but the tach will read correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts