S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now my old system grounded to the jack rack in my ext. cab, there has to be a better place to ground my amps. would the seat bolt work that holds the seat to the floor? or is the jack rack fine

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
Drill a hole and route your wire and secure it to the frame.

Places like the jack stand and seat bolts arent so great.

·
takin it easy
614 Posts
Drill a hole and route your wire and secure it to the frame.

Places like the jack stand and seat bolts arent so great.
im not trying to be an ass, but can you make me understand why they arent so great??? im sorry but i have never had a probs with the seat bolts as grounds.

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
im not trying to be an ass, but can you make me understand why they arent so great??? im sorry but i have never had a probs with the seat bolts as grounds.
Most of the studs like that are welded in, or, the insert that they screw into is welded into the floor pan. Welds introduce resistance.

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
it could also be a bad weld, and really the jack isnt hardly got any metal at all touching the cab wall

best is to ground it to the frame

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well this thread is point less now i blew my 12" typr-r 10 minutes after i put it in, i wasn't even running crazy power to it just a audiobahn 1800DT

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
w.e yea i know i didnt think it would a problem cause he was running 2 12"s with two of the amp's but i tunned it just alittle high, beginers mistake. i'll pay for it, learn, and move on. Type X is on the way haha

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
always always always ground amps to the frame!

yeah it takes longer and its a little more work, but it eliminates bad grounding problems later on.

the battery wire is grounded to the frame, so if you ground to the frame, its basically grounding straight to battery, grounding to the cab can induce alot of resistance and weak ground.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
always always always ground amps to the frame!

yeah it takes longer and its a little more work, but it eliminates bad grounding problems later on.

the battery wire is grounded to the frame, so if you ground to the frame, its basically grounding straight to battery, grounding to the cab can induce alot of resistance and weak ground.

You sure about that, first gens ground to the engine block from the factory.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
The battery is usually grounded to the chassis, not the frame. The engine is grounded to the battery too. Do the Big Three Upgrade and ground your battery to the frame, and of course, ground amps to the frame. If you don't ground to the frame, drill a hole in your floorboard, scrape off paint all around the hole, lay down some dielectric grease on the bare metal, put a ring terminal on your wire and put it over the hole, and put a bolt through the ring terminal and hole and secure it with a nut and lock washer. Then dielectric grease over the bolt and nut on both sides to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how much can u get a type x for?

haha after blowin two type-r's im done. almost gave up with alpine and went to JL but i can get type X's for mid $200's + 1 year warrenty

now i just have to save up to pick up a JL 1000/1 or Alpine pdx1000.1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts