S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new amp is almost here...i've learned the hard way..so now i wanna do it right or better than what i did...
for all of you who've seen my latest setup ..my amp was mounted on the back wall of my regcab right above my box..
most of you were disgusted with way the wires were..they were all over the place..and most of you were even more disgusted wen you saw my ground.
thats my dilema..i wanna do my ground right! the ground i had was fine, but it kept comin loose and small sparks would fly were the ground meets the chassis, so that prolly focked my amp lito by lito and it also made my ANL fuse black..so yea i cant have that...
where should i ground my amp? if possible i want it close to the center of the box because my amp is goin there either on the box between my boobs or on top the box where my HiFonics was..
one more thing ..
the ground must be less than or 12" long, right? what happens if it's longer? can i trade length for thickness? like say if i went a little longer but i used a say 0 guage ground wire? or no..
okae any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for any.. :D oh and yes i did a search..i found some stuff..but nothing i could really use..thanks again

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
the shorter the ground, the better. i always used the bolts that hold the seats into the truck as a ground. not sure about thicker, longer wire, but i doubt that would really make a difference. that what killed your amp, the bad ground?

·
Registered
217 Posts
:werd: Totally agree.
What i've done in the past is tap a hole through the back of the cab neer the bottom. sand down the paint around the hole, then run like a 3\8 bolt through the hole. then put some silocone on the out side around the bolt head.( after tighting down the bolt.) on the in side i used a nylock nut never had a problem.
:headbang: rock on dude

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
the shorter the ground, the better. i always used the bolts that hold the seats into the truck as a ground. not sure about thicker, longer wire, but i doubt that would really make a difference. that what killed your amp, the bad ground?
it looks like the ground had something to do with the amp frying itself, but the main problem was he had the gain up way to high and sent the amp in to major clipping... that is assumed from the pics posted awhile back..

but no you can have your ground longer than 1 foot and it wont hurt ya. just use a larger screw and attach the terminal to the floor, or the seat bolt will work fine also... just make sure the connection is nice and bare.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys...yea 98layinframe was right about how the amp broke..i guess the bad ground just focked up my fuse..it was black..lol
if im gonna put the ground on the..um ground..or floor i mean..lol the wire will prolly be somewhere between 2-3 feet long.. will that be alright? imma try and use a 0 guage wire too for the ground instead of 2 guage...oh and i'll make the 4 guage wire from the amp to the distribution block super short so the ground will mostly be 0guage...thanks again guys anymore suggestions? places to ground? idea's? :D

·
12,507 Posts
you could drill a hole in the back of the cab, sand the paint down, put a stainless bolt thru, silicone the outside of the bolt to make it weatherproof, and ground the amp to that. that way, you could make it as short as possible, and have it hidden.

·
Registered
746 Posts
your power wire from the battery, and the ground need to be the same gauge...

I have four gauge goign from my battery to a fused d-block, then 8g to each of two amps, then i have 8g coming from each amp ground, into a non-fused d-block and then a 4g ground..

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why do they have to be the same sizes?? <--just a question...
muddy s10's idea sounded good...but before i do that..is there anything else i could do that'll be..say cleaner? maybe more effective? but if muddy's way is the best way then..i'll do it..
i have 4guage power wire from amp to fused block and 2guage comin out from that block.
and same for the ground.but unfused block :)
thanks guys

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
The ground does not have to be the same size as the power wire. It must be at least the same size, and can be larger. If you have, say, 3 ft of 4 guage from your power block to the amp, then you do not want to use more than 3 ft of 4 guage for a ground. You could step up to a 2 guage ground and run about any length you want (longer grounds are suseptable to ground loops though).

With the kind of power you are pushing I would mount the amp lower and run a ground to the floor. The best would be to drill a hole and use a large bolt right through the floor pan (that's the main vehicle ground on my Toyota, the battery is between the seats). I used a bolt through the jack bracket on my truck, but I am not pushing many watts, and the 8 spot welds that hold it to the cab have much more area than my 8 gauge ground.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh..i c...hrmm..i have about say 4inchs from amp to block of 4guage wire for the power...and about 2inchs from amp to block of 4guage wire from amp to block for the ground....
i gotta wait till my amp comes in to see if i can put it close to the floor..i gotta see if it fits between the subs..so yea i gotta mount the amp on the box if anything....
thanks adam

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
why try to look for bolts or put bolts through ur car when u can dremel the paint below where u had ur amp mounted put some star washers or lock washers(eevryone calls them dif names) on a short course screw and shoot that sucker threw the floor and like evryone else said silcone that sucker to prevent rust..thats what i do for all my grounds...less time looks for the right bolt or right location..just make ur own

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xtrememeasures said:
dremel the paint below where u had ur amp mounted put some star washers or lock washers on a short course screw and shoot that sucker threw the floor grounds
so dremel the paint were im gunna mount my amp? which would be the same place as my Hifonics?
and bolt the ground to the floor? is that what ur sayin? lol im kinda confused..

·
12,507 Posts
i think he means dremel the paint where you had your ground...

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol so dremel where i had my ground...
then ground my amp to the floor?..with the amp mounted to the...???
sorry guys please bare with me :D

·
12,507 Posts
now im confused, too. id just get a big ground wire, and run it to one of the seat bolts. simplest way to do it, and doesnt leave unsightly holes if, for some reason, you have to take out your system (sell the truck).

·
Got V8?
3,263 Posts
Yelo Bel E said:
What i've done in the past is tap a hole through the back of the cab neer the bottom. sand down the paint around the hole, then run like a 3\8 bolt through the hole. then put some silocone on the out side around the bolt head.( after tighting down the bolt.) on the in side i used a nylock nut never had a problem.
This is what I would do. I ran my ground from my amp to the floor pan under the third seat assembly. The bolt it totally hidden this way :D

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okae..after reading that and visualizing how that would be...it sounds and looks good to me...
so if i can mount the amp on the box in between the subs..then i'll ground it to the floor under third seat...

if i cant do that..then i'll have no choice but to mount the amp in the same place i had my HiFonics amp....drill a hole thru the back wall..sand down the paint so i get to the bare metal..then grab a fatt ass bolt and bolt that focker tight...then put silicon all over it..on the inside of the cab and the outside..
okae..if i need to be corrected..please correct me...thanks guys

·
12,507 Posts
sounds good. you're not going with another Hifonics amp?

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol no, i have a Viper amp on the way...

depends where i can mount the amp David..
if i can fit it between the subs(mounted on the box) imma ground it under the 3rd seat..

but if i cant do that..then i'll put it where my hifonics was...and ground it on the back wall...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts