S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an amp to power my tweeters i just got. its a cheap little legacy amp. i hooked it up to my tweeters, and i got this horrible, horrible feedback noise like i had a ground loop somewhere. so i added a ground loop isolator, and the sound went away a good bit, but i could still here it when the radio was on but with no volume and when i reved the engine, the sound matched the reving. these are all the signs of a ground loop. but, then i looked at how i had it setup. i was running rcas to it for the input. since these are highs, i should have hooked up the high level inputs from the head unit...right??? is this the cause of my problem? any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
287 Posts
high level and low level inputs have nothing to do with the frequencies the amp will push. High level are the speaker level inputs some amps have - you can put an amplified signal into these. Low level inputs are RCA jacks. These are the best. Make sure you have good, clean grounds and that all your amps are grounded at the same point. Also, be sure your power wire is run on the opposite side of the truck as your signal cables. If none of this helps, try running a long ground wire from your head unit to where you have your amps grounded. I had to do this with my old Clarion deck as it was the only other thing I could do to get rid of the noise. Finally, there's the possibility that the amp is at fault - maybe due to its being a Legacy (no offense, but they're not exactly top-of-the-line).

Jeff

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure if the legacy amp is at fault though because when i hooked up my tweeters to my us acoustics amp(which has never given me problems before), it had the same problem. i will hook up each amp to different speakers and see if the tweeters are deffective. if that doesnt do it, i will re run all my wires and clean my grounding points and see what happens then.

·
SIC-Founder & WA Ch. Head
1,687 Posts
Typically, defective tweets wont give you that annoying ground-loop whine. Do what Jeffboy said. Check all your grounds. Make sure there's a good mechanical connection, bare metal to bare metal, star washers help. Ground wires shouldn't be more than 18" long if possible. Ground loop isolators work, but they're just band-aids for the problem. Also, make sure you're speaker wires are no where near any high-current power, such as your factory wiring harness. You can very easily pick up induced noise this way.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Really, if all else fails, try running that ground wire from the head unit back to your amps' ground spot. It worked like a charm for me.

Jeff

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as soon as i get a chance this weekend, i'll rip everything apart. and if i still cant get it to work....:bash:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts