S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered a new grille emblem, now i need to have the grille painted. only one problem, i went to a body shop and the guy told me the chrome can not be painted. is he full of it or do i have to go blow a big wad on a paintable grille.

·
Registered
920 Posts
heck if hes gonna be like that you can just go get some sandpaper and sand it off yourself. might take forever

·
Registered
224 Posts
you can paint it-

you just need to scuff the hell out of it, and use a self etching primer. I had a blazer LS grille in my 94'ss, and I painted it tangelo pearl. It held up pretty good, especially considering I lived on a dirt road for a while!!

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
Before you paint it you'd want to sand it lots, just to play it safe. You don't want to pay to get it painted and have it all chip or flake off!

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
If your going to be sanding anyway to paint it, try spraying the chrome with easy off oven cleaner. Or spray into a bowl and brush it on. let it sit. Scrub with a brush and it should take most if not all the chrome off....Sounds stupid but it works...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help. that is exactly what i wanted to hear! What grit sandpaper should i use though? and if i strip the chrome off will i need to sand it afterwards? anyway thanks again for the help!!!

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Should always sand for proper paint adhesion. If you strip the chrome, wipe it down with a clean rag soaked in alcohol, not the kind you drink lol, and wipe it down. Start w 400 and finish w 600. dont want to go to fine or the paint will chip and flake. Primer, sand, primer, sand and if it looks good and smooth, shoot it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, much better understood now, never done any body work, i really just want to save a few bucks by prepping myself. i will leave painting to a professional. thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts