S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I bet no one can answer this. And I'm still scratching my head.

Issue: Radio turns on, full functionality, yet no sound in the speakers. (All 4 of them).

Stock CD player.

Took radio out, plugged it into my 99 blazer... radio works fine. Plug back into S10... no speaker sound.

Im 100% sure speakers are good.

I have a LSx V8 engine in. Sent the engine harness to Jarrad @ Current Performance to swap from 6 speed to auto. Nothing else has been changed.

When i plug in the radio with the truck on, the speakers make that audio 'click' sound... but that's all I get.

Any Clues ?!?!?!
All fuses are good.
no crimped / kinked wires.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
How are you 100% sure the speakers are good?

first off whats the impedence that you are testing? are you sure they are not shorting out?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100% sure because they're all aftermarket JVC speakers. Or Pioneer... somethin like that I forget. All brand new and they all worked when I took the truck apart.

I have not done any impedence testing. It's all new stuff that worked before I took the engine harness out. I have a rear mount battery, and custom heavy guage cables.

Positive terminal goes from battery in back up the passenger frame rail, T's off for the Starter motor, then goes over towards the Fuse box, and splits off to fuse box / other split goes to alternator.

Cab is grounded. Engine is grounded. Battery is grounded to a Kill switch mounted on back bumper (for drag racing) grounded to the frame.

I have only 1 suspicion... but it baffles my why it would have ANYTHING to do with it, and most likely it does have nothing to do with it...
My subwoofer Power wire is not attached to the battery. Nor is the fuse on the Amp blown. All factory wiring is utilized. My sub uses High Level inputs tapped into the two rear speaker wires @ the head unit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Disconnect all speakers and reconnect one at a time and see if sound comes back. Radio s are designed so that if there is a shirt on one speaker then all speaker output is cut.

Chances are you have a pinched, cut, shorted wire in the door jamb boot or at the speaker terminal itself or one of the speakers is blown shorting out the rest. If you say the speakers are new than chances are they arent blown but the terminals on the back could be shorting out on the chasis of the door depending on how theyre mounted or the wiring is probably shorted.

Ive come across this many time, been installing for 12yrs, youll gi crazy trying to figure it out. But this is the easiest way. Disconnect all and start reconnecting one channel at a time. Turn truck off when disconnecting and turn on when reconnecting one at a time.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disconnect all speakers and reconnect one at a time and see if sound comes back. Radio s are designed so that if there is a shirt on one speaker then all speaker output is cut.

Chances are you have a pinched, cut, shorted wire in the door jamb boot or at the speaker terminal itself or one of the speakers is blown shorting out the rest. If you say the speakers are new than chances are they arent blown but the terminals on the back could be shorting out on the chasis of the door depending on how theyre mounted or the wiring is probably shorted.

Ive come across this many time, been installing for 12yrs, youll gi crazy trying to figure it out. But this is the easiest way. Disconnect all and start reconnecting one channel at a time. Turn truck off when disconnecting and turn on when reconnecting one at a time.

Hope this helps,
I'll check the back side of the speakers tomorrow morning ... That's a good idea.

·
Ratchety thing
112 Posts
Deff check them one at time. The same problem happened to me. Turns out I had 1 speaker messed up and it wouldn't allow anything to play. Didn't really make sense to me but that's what it was.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Deff check each each speaker, i had same problem in my old fullsize, it ended up being a speaker grounding out... very easy fix, just takes a little time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts