S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jake, I live in North Idaho and I’m new to these trucks. I’ve always liked the big giant 1 ton diesels and that sort of thing but I’ve always had a soft spot for s10s.
Anyway, I have my eye on a zr2. It belongs to a friend of mine. But I want an s10 (at the very least it beats a bike) and honestly don’t know much about them. I drove a 98 blazer in high school but it belonged to my dad and he likes things stock. It crapped out about 6 months after I got my next car.
My question for you 4.3 guys is, how long do things last. It has 300k on it but it’s really cheap and I figure on rebuilding the drivetrain this spring.
On a side note, how good are these things off-road. My other buddy’s dad had one and he said his could go anywhere but he doesn’t have it anymore and has a habit of stretching the truth.
Any and all info is welcome. Thanks guys.
-Jake

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
At 300K it's probably going to need a bunch of work unless he's kept up with the suspension and drivetrain failures. Doubt it's the first engine or trans or rearend. All the steering and front suspension has likely been replaced. If any of these parts are original they're shot. Personally I'd look for one with half that mileage. It'll cost you less in the long run even tho you'll pay a little more upfront. ZR2's over 200K are pretty tired. I have one. And have replaced the engine and transmission and have bought a spare rear end for when the clutches in the G80 wear out. Front end overhaul is next.

No they can't go anywhere. Just another 4wd mid sized pickup. GM raising it a couple inches didn't make it into an instant Truggy or Rock crawler.
That extra 2" ride height will just lets the tires dig 2" deeper holes making it that much harder to pull it out.

Sorry to sound so negative on high mileage ZR2's. I've had mine 3 years and have yet to see where it is any better than any other 4wd pickup. Just harder to find some parts for. Actually most are just regular S10 parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts