S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 89 model year 700R4 in my 91 sonoma 4.3 which has been rebuilt. Not many miles since the rebuild due to numerous trans problems. My biggest complaint now is that it doesnt shift from 1st to 2nd until 4,500 rpm regaurdless of how slow or fast you accelerate. While thats a great thing at the drag strip, not so great on snow and ice. Ive been told that the governer might have some crap in it. So I pulled it to check. No stuff in it, cleaned it anyways. I noticed that the weights have different colored springs on one side. Yellow on one side, silver on the other. Doesnt different color springs mean differnt compression rates? All of the gov's ive seen before were either both yellow or both silver. Anybody know why the tranny shop would do this? :monkeypee:

·
Registered
507 Posts
There are several different spring combinations that came from the factory in those transmissions. Each is specific to the vehicle.
So if you put the trans in a different vehicle you need to calibrate the governor. Springs effect mostly low speed and part throttle shifts, weaker spring later shift, stronger spring earlier shift. If the weights are way off it can effect the low speed shifts too, make sure it doesn't have the governor with the V shaped weights.
You can get a calibration kit from B&M, I've never used one of those, I got a 5 gallon bucket half full of governors from a trans shop that went out of bussiness.
I can usually mix and match springs and grind weights to get the shifts right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts