S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEFORE I GO ON HERE ARE PICS OF THE OLD GENERATION 1 AIR BAR AND YOU CAN SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4605&highlight=air+ride

i attached some pics

1) right out you can see there is a lot less driling into the frame
2) the bags mount totally different than the first generation set up.
3) will it bottom out with that bar under the axle in the rear
4) on the first generation you can see that the top of the axle hit the bed with this one there is a metal braket on top of the axle that hits the bottom of the bed before my axle does wouldnt this actully not make the truck lay out like the first gerneation kit? the bracket looks like it hangs at least 2 inches higher than the axle that would hit the bottom of the bed
5) how do you guys like the kit. by the look of it the first generation air bar mounts right behind my notch and it looks close this kit mounts the the top crossmember and looks even closer to my notch than the first generation set up??
6) the first generation kit says 4 link this one says 3 link whats the difference
7) but overall this does look like a stronger kit than the first generation air bar.
8) can i use a block with this kit and if i cut the bottom of the bed will the bags be able to deflate more because it looks like the first generation set up would get down lower?

all help is appreciated

tony
thank larry and tony for helpin me out

this is the first pic you can see that the metal bracket on top of the axle will hit before the pumpkin would can i just cut the bed or do the bags bottom out same time the bracket hits bottom of the bed??

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sup 98.
You would probably get more help on sportruck.com. They have alot of dealers and installers on that board that can help you out. I had alot of questions and they answered them real fast.

Jay

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Tony;
Sorry I have missed this post......... I dont know how because your text was plenty big but if you still have questions let me know... I will check back later today to see or you can e-mail or call me or e-mail me your number and I can call you.

Tony..........

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
wtf??? i didnt even knwo they made a 2nd gen airbar!! i had the 1st gen on my 96 and my arms were seriously tired after drilling all those holes. i just talked to Airride last week cuz i was thinking about baggin my 94...they were d!cks. really smug about their product and they didnt even mention that anything was changed. i dont see anything on the website either...anyways..

from the look of it, if you want to run a notch and lay out, you are screwed...that kit is only slightly offset from the axle and it wraps around the bottom of the frame. i would cut that lip off, build a step notch, and bolt or weld their crossmember to it. that would be sweet heh good luck...lata

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Tony;
If you want to run a standard notch in it and not cut through the bed floor then you only need to add a 2-3" lowering block. And if a block like the Bell-Tech 6202 with degree taper built into the block you will be fine.

Tony....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
AVTekk said:
wtf??? i didnt even knwo they made a 2nd gen airbar!! i had the 1st gen on my 96 and my arms were seriously tired after drilling all those holes. i just talked to Airride last week cuz i was thinking about baggin my 94...they were d!cks. really smug about their product and they didnt even mention that anything was changed. i dont see anything on the website either...anyways..

from the look of it, if you want to run a notch and lay out, you are screwed...that kit is only slightly offset from the axle and it wraps around the bottom of the frame. i would cut that lip off, build a step notch, and bolt or weld their crossmember to it. that would be sweet heh good luck...lata
AV........ if you remember when did the install on your truck you more than likely had to modify the gas tank. With the new kit there is no modification of the tank. We had to change it sooner or later becasue the newer trucks are coming out with plastic gas tanks and are a biotch to modify. As far as getting a rude guy on the phone....... my apologies......... every now and then we have bad days ourselves but I would like to know who it was if you can remember.

Tony....

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Tony...

yeah, 2 by 4 + 5lb sledge = custom gas tank hehe

yeah its no problem, i was just lookin to get some help on settin up my new truck. i was mostly concerned if it would hadden the HP, cuz after i do some work to the engine, i want to be putting out somewhere around 500, and i was wondering if the bolt on kit would take it. he just brushed off my questions and was pretty much wondering why i even asked such a silly thing. the whole convo went badly. last time i ordered i just went online and i had my stuff the next week. but the new kit is lookin good. i dont really see how a block would effect the ride height tho. maybe its because i am trying to see black and white pics scanned from a manual haha but it looks like if you put the block in it would move the axle closer to the bag crossmember and actually decrease your adjustability. is the kit made to be bolted onto a step notch?? i dunno is there any information anywhere on this kit? thanks man lata

dave

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1) you cant use blocks with this set up it says the shocks prevent bottoming out so if u use blocks since its hooked up on the rear bar onto the axle will bottom out 2 inches faster. ill mesure the shock fully compressed then i can see if i can go lower

tony

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yessssssssss

you can use the blocks see it attaches to the axle by the leaf spring hole so you just use a block there and that pushes up axle with no adverse affect on bag or shocks. thanks tony for pointing that out

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
what?? im confused now, you changed your mind back and forth!

im still with you on that second post..putting a block in thier will push the axle 2" closer to the crossmember which will affectively reduce you axle movement. i dunno maybe im missin somethin...

also its using the F9000s again right? they are reall tall, like 1.5" over a #2500 bag when compressed. i dunno i think it will bottom out with blocks...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts