S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
02 shortbed owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 87 is nearly back together. I went and bought a longblock for $900 . I got it sitting back in the frame , mounts in it , bellhousing bolted up, tbi plumbed in most electrical hooked up. tonight after work i should be able to drive her home. I haad to source a driver side exhaust manifold because it was cracked. The previous owner when he put an engine in it broke half the electrical connectors and vaccum lines so im fighting that mess. I ll have a set of heads for sale. if anyone is intrested shoot me a price , the heads have 40,000 miles on them roughly.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Are u putting in a 3.4l?

·
02 shortbed owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope i aint got time , if my doing any transplant im adding two more cylinders. i got another 2.8 because this is my daily i dont give a flying **** truck. tonight i have to adjust the valves and set the timing and shes done. some stupid ass engineer decided to put the pushtubes in front of the intake gasket. i swear the s o b who designed this engine needs a swift kick in the nuts.

·
Registered
419 Posts
For sure there are some aggarvating nuances to these engines but the 83 I had was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned.

·
02 shortbed owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got the old gal running have to play with the timing just a little and set the valves..... yeah and theres the damn coolant leak . the thermostat housing is pitted i used a die grinder to get it flat and it still leaks

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
throw some RTV on it and it should seal up. other wise the dealer should sell them.

·
02 shortbed owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
had to buy a new one from napa another $10 into my truck

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
i'd say $10 is not too bad. could be worse like $100 or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts