S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my situation is that the flexor on my down pipe broke. my friend said that was included with his header pakage. So I'm looking for the same deal problem is that all the pakages I can find dont say if a down pipe and flexor is includid. Am I to asome that it atomaticly is? I also would like to get some info on the best place to buy my package from. I will be instaling my self so if you have done this befor and have some tips I would apreate the feed back.

·
Hello there!
5,227 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
you cant just replace the flew pipe unless you take your down pipe to a welder and have him cut out and reweld the new piece. the only header i would reccomend that has a down pipe is the kamakazie. go to www.bigjoshracing.com i am doing a gp for al's headers that actuall ahs better gains but does not include the down pipe. it will be sold soon but it is in fabrication now. check out the gp forum if interested

·
Chrome sucks-Get over it!
850 Posts
The flexpipes in our trucks suck. When I bought my truck 18 months ago, my truck needed one bad. Now I can tell the flexpipe is in bad shape again...wtf is up with that?

Eric

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
nismo said:
The flexpipes in our trucks suck. When I bought my truck 18 months ago, my truck needed one bad. Now I can tell the flexpipe is in bad shape again...wtf is up with that?

Eric
wow 137db with 2 8's impressive. i am running a eclpise 87121dvc with a fosgate 700s that has a birth sheet of 832 with a set of focal 165v2's in doors and mbquarts 4" 2ways in the dash powered by a diamond400x2. mine rocks with 1 12 i cant imagine hiting 137db with 2 8's

·
Registered
268 Posts
gutless is al makin a dp for 95?

·
Chrome sucks-Get over it!
850 Posts
do the DP's from 95 fit the 97's? I have a feeling my POS DP will need replaced really soon.

Eric

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maybe if your motor mounts are getting flexible maybe they are taking out our flexpipes, as thats why the flexpipes are there, to allow the exaust to move when the engine does, so if the engine moves ALOT with older mounts then the flex pipe will wear out too. Just some food for thought.

~Alex

·
Gettin' busy w/MikeD
14 Posts
I just put a pace setter header on mine. It came with the downpipie and a clamp to fit it into the stock exhaust pipe. It uses a ball and socket type fitting to the downpipe as opposed to a collector style like the kamikaze illustrates. The bolts that join them are hard to put in with the tension springs provided. I would recommend buying some stainless all-thread and cutting it to size. The header includes crappy paper gaskets, which sure won't be much fun to replace when they burn through three months down the line. Buy a metal gasket. If you plan on installing a header and downpipe onto your stock exhaust I would recommend the kamikazee one. Looking at it, it's joined by collector style flanges which is way better than slipping the new downpipe onto the exhaust pipe and U clamping it.

The pace setter header itself is constructed very well. It has large diameter tubing and a sturdy mounting flange. The downpipe is fine if you plan on welding it into the exhaust pipe which is what I did and its 100 dollars cheaper than the kamikazee.

·
Registered
624 Posts
MikeDee said:
I just put a pace setter header on mine. It came with the downpipie and a clamp to fit it into the stock exhaust pipe. It uses a ball and socket type fitting to the downpipe as opposed to a collector style like the kamikaze illustrates. The bolts that join them are hard to put in with the tension springs provided. I would recommend buying some stainless all-thread and cutting it to size. The header includes crappy paper gaskets, which sure won't be much fun to replace when they burn through three months down the line. Buy a metal gasket. If you plan on installing a header and downpipe onto your stock exhaust I would recommend the kamikazee one. Looking at it, it's joined by collector style flanges which is way better than slipping the new downpipe onto the exhaust pipe and U clamping it.

The pace setter header itself is constructed very well. It has large diameter tubing and a sturdy mounting flange. The downpipe is fine if you plan on welding it into the exhaust pipe which is what I did and its 100 dollars cheaper than the kamikazee.
I heard problems with the pacesetter in the header was warping sp? I beat its because of the paper gasket.

I have al's header and I haven't installed it yet, mabye this weekend if the weather is crappy. I have been too busy with work and other shit.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
MikeDee said:

thank you for your uneducated remarks. the pace setter is s piece of junk. the tubing they use is thin and cheap the flanges are thin as all hell the coating doesnt last for shizz the gaskets blow out like no other. even wiht a metal crush the flange gets too hot and warps then causes leaks. too many people to list have had [problems. so please before you go and post the good things about the pos you bought make sure the info is correct. this has been beat up here for years. just go do a search and look. after 2yr my friend went through 2 ps headers and 5 gaskets before he went back to stock because he was tired of replacing gaskets and headers. there have been plenty of peopl here with horros stories to pics of swis chees ps headers after 1.5yrs . before you noob remarks are posted make sure its fact and no opinion. i see you are new so ill give you some slack becuase you just dont know. but before you post make sure your not giving someone bad advise such as to buy one even over a kamakazie becuase you could really cost people money by posting opinion as fact. the fact is that pacesetter makes the worst header money can buy for our trucks. that is 100% fact!!!!!

·
Gettin' busy w/MikeD
14 Posts
gutlesswonder said:
thank you for your uneducated remarks. the pace setter is s piece of junk. the tubing they use is thin and cheap the flanges are thin as all hell the coating doesnt last for shizz the gaskets blow out like no other. even wiht a metal crush the flange gets too hot and warps then causes leaks. too many people to list have had [problems. so please before you go and post the good things about the pos you bought make sure the info is correct. this has been beat up here for years. just go do a search and look. after 2yr my friend went through 2 ps headers and 5 gaskets before he went back to stock because he was tired of replacing gaskets and headers. there have been plenty of peopl here with horros stories to pics of swis chees ps headers after 1.5yrs . before you noob remarks are posted make sure its fact and no opinion. i see you are new so ill give you some slack becuase you just dont know. but before you post make sure your not giving someone bad advise such as to buy one even over a kamakazie becuase you could really cost people money by posting opinion as fact. the fact is that pacesetter makes the worst header money can buy for our trucks. that is 100% fact!!!!!

I don't know if pace setter has changed their design but the header your describing is not at all what I received. The flange is at least 1/4 inch thick and the tubing is heavy as well. I was never recommending the PC header over the Kamakazee I just said it was cheaper, and it works. Which it has so far for me. I have had mine on for a few months now, no leaks, no problems. I'm sure many of the problems with this header can be attributed to improper installation. Cleaning the head "immaculate", torquing the nuts from the inside out and rechecking the torque after a few days of driving are all crucial steps. This is not an opinion, this is my experience installing one.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
MikeDee said:
I don't know if pace setter has changed their design but the header your describing is not at all what I received. The flange is at least 1/4 inch thick and the tubing is heavy as well. I was never recommending the PC header over the Kamakazee I just said it was cheaper, and it works. Which it has so far for me. I have had mine on for a few months now, no leaks, no problems. I'm sure many of the problems with this header can be attributed to improper installation. Cleaning the head "immaculate", torquing the nuts from the inside out and rechecking the torque after a few days of driving are all crucial steps. This is not an opinion, this is my experience installing one.
first off give it a few months then youll be replacing the gasket. which means total tear down and redoing the work you had to go through to get the thing on in the first place. after you do that a few times youll realize that it a piece. also a 1/4 thick flange is cheese ball. you want at least 1/2" flanges or the heat form the head will 100% warp the flange. 2nd the tubing that pacesetter uses is thin its 16guage metal. the least you should use is 14 guage. 3rd the placement of the header causes the clutch lines to heat up and possibly blow. there are about 5 members here those being the only ones that posted that went through clutch lines. 4the the coating they use is junk. it will rust and end up like swiss cheese. pacesetter hasnt changed the design. being a noob you dont know this stuff and i have experienced it first hand and also heard horror stories online here that back it up. so you can argue that you got a good one all you want but the truth is you got the same piece of junk that everyone had and has problems with. 5th. the power inclrease that the pacesetter gives is bs. its nothing compared to the other manufacturers especially for the hassle your going to go through. i would rather have a stock manifold then ever purchase a ps header. sorry man but you should have done more research before you purchased it. youll learn youve only been here for less than a month i have been here since march 02. i have read and talked to plenty of people that will tell you the same thing. but its ok you can believe what you want but the truth will always remain.

·
Gettin' busy w/MikeD
14 Posts
gutlesswonder said:
first off give it a few months then youll be replacing the gasket. which means total tear down and redoing the work you had to go through to get the thing on in the first place. after you do that a few times youll realize that it a piece. also a 1/4 thick flange is cheese ball. you want at least 1/2" flanges or the heat form the head will 100% warp the flange. 2nd the tubing that pacesetter uses is thin its 16guage metal. the least you should use is 14 guage.
Every header I have ever used has been 1/4 with 16 guage tubing. Its plenty.

3rd the placement of the header causes the clutch lines to heat up and possibly blow. there are about 5 members here those being the only ones that posted that went through clutch lines.
Heh, that's why you should move it. I tacked a small wire bracket right on the header which holds the clutch line and o2 sensor wire.

the the coating they use is junk. it will rust and end up like swiss cheese.
I have never seen any coating last... Even the stupid expensive ones.

being a noob you dont know this stuff and i have experienced it first hand and also heard horror stories online here that back it up.
Noob eh.. I may be new to this forum but I am sure not new to mechanics. I have an A&P liscence and used to be ASE certified. Your 26 years old... I was working as a mechanic when you were 10. *Sigh* Who's the noobie?

Again all I said is the PS header is cheap and it works. It may take a little more ingenuity to install than the others but it works fine. Your obviously expecting something that is perfect right out of the box, which for some people is necessary. Anyhow, I am done arguing. If I have any problems I will post them.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
ya we'll see you in a few month posting" my pacesetter header is falling apart" or "my flanges are warped and now i ahve to buy another header". ou can hide behind you certs all you want but the fact is the header is a PIECE OF SHITE. so go on telling yourself its ok and when it does crap out on you youll remember what i said and it will ring over and over in your head

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
now back to the down pipes my truck didn't have a flex section to it at all it is just pipe and has been that way for ever I guess seeing as I am the second owner and my dad was the first so did they not put them on the 94's and why couldn't you just replace yalls with pipe instead of buying a new one once a year or how ever often

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
i doubt its your down pipe that is your problem if there is no flex joint. unless a weld cracked or you bottomed out and broke it. you probably just have a bad gasket in one of the flanges.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts