S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes. i have a 99 zq8 with 18" Milanni Bitchins. I want to lower it alot but not so far that i cant drive it anywhere. at first i thought that i would go with a 2/3 drop but thought i might go even lower. could you guys help me out any? would have already had it done but cant make my mind up and just dont know how low i can go without scaping on the smallest little thing. thanx

·
2LO4BC
2,859 Posts
probly going to wanna ditch the zq8 suspension and go with a 4/5 from belltech. you'll have to check the tire size chart and see if you will run much. i dont ythink you will.
if you have really small tires on your 18" wheels you can go as much as a 5/7.

IMO a 2/3 ontop of the zq8 looks great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx alot. i have kumho ecstas on the wheels. will probably go with the 4/5 drop. i just want it to look good. if you guys have any suggestions tell me because this summer i have a large supply of money coming in and goin to do some stuff to the truck. thanx.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
lets see you shoul go a 4/5 that looks really good with 18's im gonna run that drop but with 20's, loks real good

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
4/5 will only get you half an inch lower than the zq8+2/3, and cost a substantial amount more. I'd say get spindles and blocks to go in conjunction with your zq8 and pocket the difference in price.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
:stupid: 2/3 on a zq8 looks killer.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
2" spindles for the front and 3" blocks out back. total cost about $170 since you can reuse your factory shocks without problems.

·
blackzq8
5 Posts
I just lowered my '98 (w/zq8). 2" Belltech spindles, 2" coils, and belltech shocks up front. In the rear: about 3 1/2" angled blocks w/ stock shocks. It rides like a piece of crap right now. Just thought I'd tell ya how my project worked out and see if anyone has any advice on the topic. I considered putting the zq8 coils back on (about 1/2" difference) and maybe the stock shocks. I also was wondering if some drop shocks in the rear would make it more liveable. Hope I didn't whore in on your thread too much, but it seems like we're in the same boat. Maybe someone's advice can help us both.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
wesleyjeff said:
I just lowered my '98 (w/zq8). 2" Belltech spindles, 2" coils, and belltech shocks up front. In the rear: about 3 1/2" angled blocks w/ stock shocks. It rides like a piece of crap right now. Just thought I'd tell ya how my project worked out and see if anyone has any advice on the topic. I considered putting the zq8 coils back on (about 1/2" difference) and maybe the stock shocks. I also was wondering if some drop shocks in the rear would make it more liveable. Hope I didn't whore in on your thread too much, but it seems like we're in the same boat. Maybe someone's advice can help us both.

you would be fine putting the stock shocks back on up front... 1/2" difference is nothing the shocks cant handle. In the rear, did you remove the bumpstop bracket? If not thats why the truck rides so ruff, your probably sitting on the bumpstops.

·
Squid Life
1,781 Posts
:stupid: If you didn't cut out the bump stops and bracket you might not be riding on the bump stops, but you're so close that it hits it on every bump...like the axle was bolted to the frame...

18s and Kuhmo rubber doesn't help...need to know the tire size and rim width...255/45R18X9...yadda, yadda, yadda...it's going to depend a lot on the width and diameter of your tie...you can run a 255/45 series tire on a 18X9 wheel and not have enough room for a 5" drop or you can run a 225/30 series tire on a 18X7 wheel and have plenty.

IMO...a 2/3 on top of the ZQ8 is tits...and will leave you plenty of room to run some rubber around those wheels...unless you like the look of the stretched rubber band tires? I take it that this truck is NOT an Xtreme? If it is you won't want to go any lower than this unless you invest in some spare plastic pieces.

·
blackzq8
5 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to check those bumpstops on the rear. I hate to take them out completely...what about cutting them down some. We have crappy roads and I'm afraid of that big metal on metal clang with no bump stops at all. I probably will put the zq8 springs back on. I need the clearance. I drug frame crossing the highway going to Wal-Mart today. My buddy was proud of me, but this is my daily driver, so I don't want to abuse it too much. Thanks

·
Squid Life
1,781 Posts
wesleyjeff said:
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to check those bumpstops on the rear. I hate to take them out completely...what about cutting them down some. We have crappy roads and I'm afraid of that big metal on metal clang with no bump stops at all. I probably will put the zq8 springs back on. I need the clearance. I drug frame crossing the highway going to Wal-Mart today. My buddy was proud of me, but this is my daily driver, so I don't want to abuse it too much. Thanks
Straight hi-jacked the mans thread...eh...:dunno:
but, I wouldn't worry about taking the bumpstop brackets out...get some after market pads, attach them to the frame and call it done.

·
blackzq8
5 Posts
You all were right. I cut out the bumpstop pads and brackets. She's back to riding like stock...I'm just scraping everything everywhere I go. Sorry for jacking this thread. I tried to just help in the beginning, but it got out of control. While I have it though...any thoughts or experience with the setup I described--front: 2" spindles, zq8 springs, belltech shocks Rear: 2" blocks, belltech shocks ???? Thanks...sorry for whoring out the thread.

·
TuckinXtreme
233 Posts
when i had my Xtreme....i had 2 inch spindles on it..and 3 inch blocks...and stock Zq8 spindles and blocks....and 18" boyds on it.....it was hammered.. and was a champ in turns......damn i miss her.....

·
Registered
779 Posts
if i were you id just go with spindles and 3" blocks.....only be a half inch less then the 4/5 you want....and that much really isnt that noticible considering a 1/2" of difference can change just from the amount of air in your tires..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts