S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
97-SS
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i picked up a sd 3link for 100 bucks today from a buddy... the bad part is that it has no link tabs from the upper wishbone to the gas tank member..how would i go about making one as far as mesuring it? also i think its the old kit because he got it like over 1 1/2 years ago..i already have my botton tabs welded on the frame. i just need the lower perches moved up thats it.

·
Spare Parts Pack Rat
583 Posts
You should be able to just order a gas tank crossmember from SD. I'm not positive, but I believe that design change was just longer lower bars to keep the axle centered better. The upper wishbone is unchanged as far as I know.
Did you not get the raised gas tank crossmember with it? It already has the tabs on it for the wishbone.

Perhaps I am reading what you posted wrong, but what tabs did you weld to your frame? It has always been my understanding that you relocate the spring perches on the frame and weld the tabs to your axle after you have determined your pinion angle at your chosen ride height (assuming that this is a weld on 3 link).

BTW...good find on the 3 link. That's a hell of a good price!:tup:

·
97-SS
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You should be able to just order a gas tank crossmember from SD. I'm not positive, but I believe that design change was just longer lower bars to keep the axle centered better. The upper wishbone is unchanged as far as I know.
Did you not get the raised gas tank crossmember with it? It already has the tabs on it for the wishbone.

Perhaps I am reading what you posted wrong, but what tabs did you weld to your frame? It has always been my understanding that you relocate the spring perches on the frame and weld the tabs to your axle after you have determined your pinion angle at your chosen ride height (assuming that this is a weld on 3 link).

BTW...good find on the 3 link. That's a hell of a good price!:tup:
well there not really welded there just tacked. but those are moved up. but yeah my buddy bought it all peiece by piece and he orderd the one without the tabs on accident. as far as the pinon angle, if set up right you should have very little change, but they are on the from my reverse 4link that im taking off, but my lower bars are adjustable so i can just fix it if i need to..

·
Flat's Where It's At
446 Posts
since you have a reverse link I would assume you already have a notch, but a good way to set right height would be put the axle up against the frame or in your case where the fram would have been. Then set your pinion, and then tack on the tabs. The tabs for the 3-link should be angle a little also.

·
97-SS
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
since you have a reverse link I would assume you already have a notch, but a good way to set right height would be put the axle up against the frame or in your case where the fram would have been. Then set your pinion, and then tack on the tabs. The tabs for the 3-link should be angle a little also.
im not talking about the pinion.. i know how to fix that. im just worried about if its going to push my dive shaft in when its layed out or anything because i know the 3 links had a problem with the driveshaft

·
Flat's Where It's At
446 Posts
you will most likely have to get your driveshaft shorten. I cycled my suspension tonight and it looks like I will be needing about an inch taken out.

·
lets get hammered
2,252 Posts
i saw a thread once where a guy had a crossmember with no tabs and he sent it back to sd and they put the tabs in it for him, because they arent just welded to the crossmember, they acctually go through it and are welded on both sides, i would call em and see how much it costs

·
97-SS
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i saw a thread once where a guy had a crossmember with no tabs and he sent it back to sd and they put the tabs in it for him, because they arent just welded to the crossmember, they acctually go through it and are welded on both sides, i would call em and see how much it costs
yeah i know but im pretty good at welding and putting tabs on will be no problem.

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
yeah i know but im pretty good at welding and putting tabs on will be no problem.
its not just about the welding strength.
SD can weld.
the wishbone locates the axle (truck) laterally.
you want more weld area longitudinally to allow less bending strain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts