S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ok i broke my belt last night for mytruck (92 s-10 with a 2.5) and i was wondering if i could fit the belt with powersteering but no ac?

i have ac but don't need it right now and don't have the money for the belt with all the accessories? so help me out please.....

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
sure you can you will just have to find the right size belt to fit over the powersteering and alternator and make sure its tight. But the A/C compressor won't matter, just don't try turning it on with out the belt there.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Call up a local auto parts store (Advance :D ) and ask them to look it up on their comp, when I used to work there we could and it took like 5 seconds.....and if they dont have the right one in stock they'll tell you what sizes you'll need.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know advanced has the belt with power steering and no ac so is that the one i need?

and on another note how often should i check my belt? i know it was hell driving home on dim lights and no powersteering with some of the roads here because we have like 90 degree turns!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just check it every time u do an oil change while ur already under the hood if its cracked across all of the belt replace it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well i think i had some good luck for awhile... had that belt on there for almost 6 months and i drive it everyday.....

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
yah check it every time you change your oil and you might try putting belt dressing on it every time you change your oil to make it last a little longer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so that belt will work right? cuz it saves me 10 bux and why would i turn on my ac in this season? LoL it's like colder than my ac could ever get me......

·
Registered
295 Posts
when you have a/c, when you put the defrosters(heater) on, the compresser kicks in every once in a while, this keeps the compressor lubricated during the non-use months of the winter.

if you do not turn the compressor, you may find problems come spring.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Usually belts last a hell of a lot longer than 6 months, at least a couple few years. Unless you drive an insane amount......how was it bad? You might have a bad tensioner or somethin.

·
Hyundai Owner
4,272 Posts
supr2nr said:
yah check it every time you change your oil and you might try putting belt dressing on it every time you change your oil to make it last a little longer.
I was told that youre not supposed to put belt dressing on serpentine belts.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
if you are worried about your AC compressor turning on, unplug the wire going to the AC compressor....

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Well your battery wont charge and you won't be getting circulation from you water pump, loose power steering and such but I dont think there are any serious affects.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats what mine did....i was going down the road in the middle of nowhere and it broke, my motors battery light came on and i had to accellerate slower cuz the truck was very hot! but other than that it was/is fine.......

does anyone have a diagram for how my belt is supposed to go on because this new belt is like 1-2 inches too long.....???maybe i did something wrong?

um and i just found out that that belt was the one put on 2 years ago and 45k was on it so i can see why it went......LOL

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
I heard Advance got blow-up diagrams since I left, but maybe you're not using a tensioner? You gotta put a 1/2 (i think) socket on it and pull it up, then slip the belt underneath. All it does is keep pressure on the belt so it don't slip n' shit.

It might be the wrong belt tho, call them up and ask for the part number again. Just make sure that theres pressure on it first :thumbup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i checked it 3 times now.....and i tried bringing the thing up the it doesn't have groves for the belt to go on so i don't think it goes there?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
if your belt broke how did you keep your pants up that happened one time i had to use a cord how embarrising damn if you need a new one you can find them anywhere FYI

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
rodknock said:
if your belt broke how did you keep your pants up that happened one time i had to use a cord how embarrising damn if you need a new one you can find them anywhere FYI
A month late and a dollar short....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts