S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
no fat GUYS, truck will scrape
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here's the deal.......... my truck has been in the shop almost as much as it's been in the driveway because my tranny is a piece of s**t!!!!! It has a new throw-bearing, a complete new third gear, and it still sucks!!! I am sick and tired of always leaving it at the dealership only to find that I still have the same problems. I'm not gonna lie...... I don't BABY my truck, I give it the odd beating, and the tranny just can't take it. So, I want to know what would be a good replacement 5-spd tranny for my truck?? Any opinions?? I am hoping to strike a deal with GM for them to pay for a replacement tranny and I will pay the difference for the upgrade, but I need some good background info on some trannies first. Thanks for any opinions!!:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unfortunately, if GM does any sort of warranty work on the trans, they won't let you upgrade it unless you have a REALLY good friend there that can pull some strings. Just to give you an idea, a friend of mines girlfriend has a Ram Air Trans am with a 6 speed. She regularly races it at the local drag strips so it gets some abuse. All the 4th gen F body's have a problem with the stock clutch not holding so her boyfriend (who works at a GM dealer in the service department) tried to talk the dealership into doing a warranty clutch change for the 3rd time but instead of putting a nasty factory clutch in he wanted them to put in a Centerforce clutch. He was going to buy the new clutch out of his pocket. He told them they could keep the parts that GM supplied for the repair of the car and they would just supply the labor. They told him no way.

As for what trans would work, a 6 speed from a 4th gen F body would be sweet. Otherwise just see if GM will replace the whole trans for you under the "Lemon law." The lemon law states that if you have a certain amount of problems with a part, they just replace it instead of repairing it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
no fat GUYS, truck will scrape
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...... I'm gonna try and see exactly what they are willing to replace, and hopefully they will at least replace the tranny.
:D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
a lot of work there, also you need to cut threw the floor board, put new holes in the crossmember, and yes your warranty will be gone on everything after this. the speedo will be way off you will need at leat 456 gears for the trany to react right becasue of how the tranny is geared less than stock tranny. so look into gettin new gears in the rear end

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.