S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm about to do a small system and was just wondering what y'all have had good luck with as far as a good head unit and a good set of speakers driven off of the head unit.

I was thinking a Kenwood unit with phoenix gold speakers (if they make them in 4x6 and 4x10)

I usually run a four channel, but I don't really want to put the money into it this go around.

·
Registered
927 Posts
that is a good start the problem I had was you could not get decent bass so I got a amp & a 8inch woofer 1 step at a time you'll get there

·
Its that dam ADD!
4,742 Posts
Kenwood X794 deck, JL XD4004 amp, Infinity 4x6 plates, Dayton 4" RS-100-4 mids in the back and some 6s in the kicks or doors if you can swing it, or something like that. Or instead of the 4x6s and 6s do a component set in the kicks with the tweeters in the kicks or dash

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Budget doesn't really matter, I'm installing all of it so I don't have to worry about the cost of installation at least.

I don't like JL amps, way overpriced...I'm just gonna be running them off of the head unit anyway.

The bass is already decided, I have an Alpine type-S shallow 10" in a sealed enclosure, and a Clarion G/H class monoblock. 400W.

Has anyone ran a set of kicker 4x10's in a first gen? I know they're probably the worst size ever, but I won't have to go modifying things.

I was thinking of sound stream's 4x6's up front.

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kenwood X794 deck, JL XD4004 amp, Infinity 4x6 plates, Dayton 4" RS-100-4 mids in the back and some 6s in the kicks or doors if you can swing it, or something like that. Or instead of the 4x6s and 6s do a component set in the kicks with the tweeters in the kicks or dash
I really do like that excelon deck though, would look good in my truck. Thanks man

·
Its that dam ADD!
4,742 Posts
well its a SQ deck big time. T/A, good voltage, iPod or USB, good display, and lots of adjustments
Still, no way Id wanna do a 4x10. No modifying needed, just a plate with a 4" hole in the middle, easy. Hell, Ive wanted to do dual 4s back there off an amp. As far as amps go and doing an S-10, you dont have a lot of room and that amp has great power, its ultra clean and really small!

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
since budget is of no option, shoot for some of the best. Macintosh HU with a set of 4" components. Personally id piece mine together using scanspeak drivers.

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is how I did my other truck, I think I'm gonna do this one much the same.

As far as the dual 4" speakers in the back, how would you wire that? Can the amplifier built into a deck handle a 2 ohm load?

Attachments

·
Its that dam ADD!
4,742 Posts
no the amp in the deck couldnt unless you you series them out to 8ohm, or ordered the RS-100-8 and parelleled them down to 4ohm

·
Its that dam ADD!
4,742 Posts

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, ordered the Kenwood deck, thank you forklift, still debating on what to do in the dash, there's not much room in there. Now I remember why mounting those 4" rockford power series in my other truck was such a pain, I really don't want to do any hacking on this one.

Anyone ran the Infinity 4" component set off of their head unit (the 4x6 plate replacement)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts