S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
LS2OMFG
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be a lot of the same questions asked about some computer problems that can be solved using some basic, free tools, to keep your computer in tip top shape. Feel free to add anything you feel is missing here.

First off, run Windows Update and install anything it finds.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Defragment your hard drive often, this is critical to good system maintenance. If you're in Windows XP you can go to My Computer -> right click C: (generally the default name for your main hard drive) -> properties -> tools -> defragment now.

It's also good to run the Check Disk utility that can be accessed through the same tools menu for defragmenting.

Anti-Virus -- You don't need to spend $$ for good protection, there's free stuff out there. AVG and Avast seem to be in the top spots. Pick which one you like best.
AVG
Avast!

Anti-Spyware -- There's all sorts of crap out there, get it off your machine, you're probably even spamming people and don't even know it. Your ISP may even block your IP from sending email. It's very important to update and scan with this software at least once every 2 weeks. You can run all of these on the same machine without any trouble. Delete anything it comes up with.
Spybot S&D
Adaware

This program doesn't scan, however it keeps some spyware from even getting on your machine to begin with. You have to keep it updated for it to work.
Spyware Blaster

System Cleanup -- This program will get rid of all the unneeded crap on your computer, hence the name. It also comes with a registry cleanup tool that is handy as well.
Crap Cleaner

I hope this helps, I use everything I've listed above and I haven't run into any issues with my own personal machines. Like I said before, if anyone has something to add, please feel free to do so.

·
Don't look at my car
8,351 Posts
Some things that windows upgrades or adds is annoying to me. Like the genuine stuff.

And i've only really used tune up utilities for the past two years or so, works well for me.

But those are good programs also.

·
Sneaky White Person
9,768 Posts
Some things that windows upgrades or adds is annoying to me. Like the genuine stuff.

And i've only really used tune up utilities for the past two years or so, works well for me.

But those are good programs also.
well you need the wga to get the updates

edit: just realized he posted that in january lol

·
NUKKA!!!
2,303 Posts
great post ralphie.......if all the students I see each day would read this thread before they come complaining to me I would be a happy man!

·
LS2OMFG
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
its the end of the world.
560 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
holy christ you dont need sp2?! Man that is good to know, I guess I dont need sp3 either (soon to be released)? I guess WU is just garbage then....holy jeez I cant belive any one still belives sp2 is bad! and wga?! not that it is good, but if your legit, who gives a sack! Im sure you have 12,000,000,000 things that start up on your pc including myspaceIM and weatherbug.

·
Don't look at my car
8,351 Posts
holy christ you dont need sp2?! Man that is good to know, I guess I dont need sp3 either (soon to be released)? I guess WU is just garbage then....holy jeez I cant belive any one still belives sp2 is bad! and wga?! not that it is good, but if your legit, who gives a sack! Im sure you have 12,000,000,000 things that start up on your pc including myspaceIM and weatherbug.

You're an idiot.

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
33 Participants
Mark70
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing