S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now replaced my 4x10 rear speakers twice now and I'm getting fed up with the lifespan of them. I first had some cheap pyramids in there, then moved up to PowerBase. I can't seem to keep a pair back there longer than about 6 months. I'm not running an amp to them at all. Just using the stock stereo amplifier which is running 50 x 4. Is there a pair you guys have had good luck with that you just run through the radio? The wire from the mag. to the voice coil always seems to break. :cuss:

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
I know for a fact this very same topic has been posted before. thanks for searching first ;)

the terms "good" and "4x10" dont fit together. Find a way to use a round speaker.

·
Its that dam ADD!
4,742 Posts
and your stock stereo amplifier DOES NOT DO 50x4, even the aftermarket radios that say that they do 50x4 dont do that! Stock is more like 8-12 rms and aftermarket more like 16-22 rms

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm running a stock stereo as well and want to replace my speakers with Sony (I get over 1/2 off) but will they sound ok with stock head unit? I'm not looking for anything awesome, just not the buzzing sound I get when there is any bass playing in a song. Sticking w/ 4x10 and 4x6's unless anyone has a good reccomendation on an easy conversion to 6x9 in back.

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
anything can sound as designed if too much volume is not demanded and it is tuned properly. If you have bass buzzing, turn the bass down (that or the speakers are damaged)

·
Got Art?
8,971 Posts
my suggestion is that if you get sony cheap, get some 4" or 5.25" round speakers and put in there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry. I searched an got nothing. Only came up with the topic about changing the size, not the quality. But anyways. Yeah I'm trying to keep it stock size due to how it bolts up in the extended part of the cab. Gotta love the plastic "bolts" that you screw the metal "nut" onto. Kind of scetchy set up by GM.

·
Registered
233 Posts
my suggestion is that if you get sony cheap, get some 4" or 5.25" round speakers and put in there.
You mean for the front correct? Are these better sounding speakers? Also, I dont have a sub box.

anything can sound as designed if too much volume is not demanded and it is tuned properly. If you have bass buzzing, turn the bass down (that or the speakers are damaged)
They are 17 yr old speakers and they sound ok but they do buzz with the bass turned down

·
Got Art?
8,971 Posts
You mean for the front correct? Are these better sounding speakers? Also, I dont have a sub box.

They are 17 yr old speakers and they sound ok but they do buzz with the bass turned down
4x10s are horrible sounding speakers, the very shape makes them this way, the cone is supported well in the 4" direction, but the 10" direction it leaves much to be desired, this weakness causes the cone to flex and then you have distortion.
no, i mean block off the rest of the location around for the 4x10 and mount round speakers in there, oval speakers, especially to that extreme are instant distortion, you can buy adapters to go from 4x10 to other sizes.
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=bkusb80
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SA41069-4x10-Inch-6x9-Inch-Speaker/dp/B0007TJDF2

·
The Truth is coming
218 Posts
Memphis 4x10 will do what you want and you dont have enough wattage to blow them. i have a set in my truck with a memphis 50x4rms amp and i have had no problem for them.they are a woven fiberglass cone that dont flex enough to distort so they sound great i promise you wont be dissapointed in them.

·
The Truth is coming
218 Posts
You have 4x6 speakers in your dash. 4x6's are really clear but they wont produce allot of mid bass. but you have 6 1/2 in your door that will make up for them. I have all memphis in my truck and it sounds amazing. I can promise you wont be dissapointed with them. but ithey also make "Plate" Speakers that replaces the oval 4x6 with i think its a 3" mid range and a Tweeter. Memphis doesnt make them anymore but Pioneer does and they sound great.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I found out i just have tweeters in my dash. I thought i had 4x6 speakers. Wonder what size my tweeters are ? Anybody know and should replace them ?

·
The Truth is coming
218 Posts
Thats kinda odd? you got a pic of them? if i could see them i can help you. Is it a 4x6 plate with a tweeter in it of just a cut out for a tweeter?

·
The Truth is coming
218 Posts
odd? I know Memphis makes a set of tweeters but there kinda exspensive for just a tweeter but there actually worth it because of how clear and loud they can get.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
and your stock stereo amplifier DOES NOT DO 50x4, even the aftermarket radios that say that they do 50x4 dont do that! Stock is more like 8-12 rms and aftermarket more like 16-22 rms
Factual Information Indeed!:D

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
the terms "good" and "4x10" dont fit together. Find a way to use a round speaker.
Exactly!

And hardly anyone makes a 4x10" anymore. Pioneer still does and prob the best one you can get. Pyramid, Pyle, Soundstorm (SSL), Legacy and Boss products suck.
Kicker KS4100
Pioneer TSA4103
Lanzar VX410......for something cheaper and decent, these are great. I have never had an issue with selling Lanzar VX series speakers. Quality is real good, sound is nice and have yet to get a blown speaker returned to my shop. Retail $75
Power Acoustik XP4103K

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 26 Posts