S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
i pitty the fool!
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some goo gone extreme and ive tried it on the side molding to try to take the adhesive off but it doesnt seem to work all that well..am i doing something wrong or is there a certain way to do it?

·
( . Y . )
947 Posts
i have some goo gone extreme and ive tried it on the side molding to try to take the adhesive off but it doesnt seem to work all that well..am i doing something wrong or is there a certain way to do it?
I tried that stuff. It didn't work at all. I used some adhesive remover from a local autobody supplier. That stuff worked better. I had to do about three applications to completely remove all the adhesive residue.

·
i pitty the fool!
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i may just leave the moldings on and when we touch up the 2 tone paint then ill just sand it off. but im sure ill get some regular adhesive remover one day.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You could save your thumbs and drop $20 on an eraser wheel. Fits in the end of a drill, erases the gunk. Doesnt harm paint. Thats what I used and I picked it up after about 2 hours of using my thumbs to get the junk off my doors. The wheel did the whole truck in about 30 minutes.

·
Panda s10 driving mofo.
1,592 Posts
wow...im doing this same thing right now...but i got over the whole using my thumb thing...i just dealt with it...but on my passenger door...it must have comeoff before because they used like an epoxy it reattach it and now im f***ed cause it looks like shit. like a big rubber line down the side....it sucks...ideas?

·
working at 145bpm
1,025 Posts
i used Goo Gone on mine, and it worked great.. although i bought the littler bottle, and used it all on both doors and a Stylin Concepts sticker that went across the windshield, you need to put it on the sticky stuff, let it set for about 10 secs, and scrap it off, and then wipe it off and repeat..thats what i did anyway

·
bah humbug
401 Posts
I used my thumbs to get the crap off of mine, looooooong and tedious, but the truck looks waaaaaaaaay better now. And then used automotive goo-gone for the little residue bits that were left.

Nigel

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used Oops, a rag, and a plastic putty knife. I've done it on 3 vehicles now and it's flawless. But as far as the first time you pull it off either wait until it's hot out or use a hairdryer to warm it up first.

·
Registered
84 Posts
wow...im doing this same thing right now...but i got over the whole using my thumb thing...i just dealt with it...but on my passenger door...it must have comeoff before because they used like an epoxy it reattach it and now im f***ed cause it looks like shit. like a big rubber line down the side....it sucks...ideas?
Hey man. Same thing happened to me. It looked like the molding fell off and was replaced by the previous owner, and they must have used some different type of adhesive. I had limited supplies at the time, so I used reducer. Took it right off, bad thing was it ruined the clear. Couldn't find anything else to do, tried 2 other adhesive removers. Luckily its only a rocker panel. Easier to repair.

·
Those crazy ass dogs!!!
6,429 Posts
Hey man. Same thing happened to me. It looked like the molding fell off and was replaced by the previous owner, and they must have used some different type of adhesive. I had limited supplies at the time, so I used reducer. Took it right off, bad thing was it ruined the clear. Couldn't find anything else to do, tried 2 other adhesive removers. Luckily its only a rocker panel. Easier to repair.

Oh yeah if you guys get the line, like where the tape sat, obviously its gonna be a lighter/darker shade then the rest of the paint, just wash it a bunch of times and keep it in the sun, it will eventually just blend into the doors and sides of the truck.

I did my mod in about January and I can't see a line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, i hav been looking at my ugly black and silver door moldings on my 2001 s10 blazer LT for a while now and want them gone.
If anyone has taken them off please let me know if these are on the doors with 3m tape or do they actually have screws or something.
I am almost done customizing my truck and this is one of the last steps, i had been to scared to ruin my s10 so i havent taken them off yet.
Thanks to everyone!
---Will put pics of truck up soon

·
Ridin' on Twankies
3,619 Posts
Personally, I will NEVER again use goo gone, or goof off on my paint again...

i debadged, de-pinstriped my whole blazer...

I used goo gone on the door badges that say "blazer" and soaked it on a rag, and lightly went over it with my fingernail... it literally "softened" the clearcoat as the stuff "soaked" in for a while, i am left with 3-4 dime sized spots of clear coat missing on my door due to this shit...

Use the correct product. 3m makes a product called "Adhesive and wax remover" it is clear coat safe, and works 10x better than the goo gone, or goof off product.

I removed the rest of the badges on the tailgate, and the pinstripe using the 3m product and was highly impressed.

others have had great results with goo gone, and goof off, but if it was mine id use the "correct" product the 1st time, and not take any chances.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts