S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
..::5 Year Member::..
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am goign to make a custom sub box for my 2 12" subs, i know the diminsions and everything for it, i just need to ask a few questions...
1) What kind of wood do I need to use, please be specific.
2) Do i need to make any special holes for wires in the back or anything? keep in mind this is goign right beind my seat in my reg cab s10, so should i just leave some holes in the front or soemthing?

thanks alot guys, please reaspond asap...

-dirk

·
Registered
208 Posts
1)Medium density fiberboard ie:MDF
can be bought from local home depot or lowe's for about 22 bucks a sheet.

2)You need somewhere to put your wires through, the carpet in the back will compress a bit, so go ahead and run it through the rear of the enclosure. Especially if it's not gonna be seen, i'd recommend just drilling a hold big enough for the wire, stick it through, then silicone the hole so it's sealed. Terminal cups look a little nicer, but are less reliable when it comes to being sealed.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
that just about sums it up, if the place u go to doesn't carry mdf, ask them to order it, the guy at the place i went to insisted that using 1/2" plywood would be even better then using mdf. bwahahahahaha he also had jensen subs in his car lol

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
nah i like it like that and my girl likes it so it's fine

·
..::5 Year Member::..
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i also heard i can use partical board....do you know if partical board would do?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Particle board isn't as nice to work with, and much less dense. You want the wood to be dense, won't flex, and will be solid, thus not causing resonance. Particle board is for the birds...spend the extra few bucks and not have the flexing of your box cause your music to sound like crap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts