S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow morning i am gonna tackle cutting the front spring pockets....i will be using firestone 255 (2500's) with jasons cups and relocators.....ok now i plan on cleaning around the pocket with brake cleaner just to kinda get the grime off so i can make my marks...then i plan on using my 4.5" angle grinder and following the lines I drew on the pockets....then i will use my saw zall to cut where i used the grinder....did you guys take loose the bracket that holds the brake lines to the frame?? looks like it may get in the way when i start sawing....also how high should i jack the truck up and where would be the best places to put the jackstands??

·
RIP U.S.A. 7/4/1776-11/3/
1,040 Posts
jack the truck up to where you feel comfortable and you can sit down and work at eye level. i forget whatt i did with the bracket prob just bent it out of the way or just cut it off. and what i found is that its eaiser to just make all the cuts with the sawzall and just clean it up with the grinder. thats how i did it

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
We cut mine with a torch then cleaned it up with grinders. My suggestion is to remove the spindle and LCA. It will make work go a lot smoother.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Yup.. take the LCA off. Makes it MUCH easier IMO. I used a cutoff wheel and sawzall to cut it out, then a grinder to clean it up.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys got another question.. i plan on running a 90 out of the cups then into a 3 inch nipple then to the compression fitting for the 1/2" airline....ive read where people actaually run the airline inside the hollow frame...is this easy to do or will there need to be any mods to the frame for the airline to go from the engine bay all the way to the rear and then up into the bed...ive allready cut some slots in the bed in the front corners to run my lines,guage lines,12 volt power wire, and swicth box wires...any tips on the best way to run the airline inside the frame or other alternative...also i am gonna get some type of hose to protect the airline from possible rubs....where can i buy the hose to protect it???all we have is lowes and home depot around here and also what is the hose called???

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you guys give me some insight on how to run the lines in the frame??

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Not to sound rude, but how does that require any insight?? You just stick it one end, find your way through the plates in the middle of the frame, and come out at the leaf spring perches where the frame becomes a c-channel, instead of rectangular tubing.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
naw i didnt know if it was hollow all the way or may have some obsticals that may be in the way....slammed did you run pillar guages?? i have them 2 dual needle in the pods on driver side what is the best location to drill a hole and then run the 1/8" guage line to the bed??

·
Registered
432 Posts
i couldn't get my airline all the way through my frame. i tried for about 30 minutes then just decided to run it out one of the holes before those plates (i think theres 3 plates in the frame) and i ran it on top of the frame then up through my bed.

·
Resident Wetback
11,267 Posts
ShattyFatmas said:
i couldn't get my airline all the way through my frame. i tried for about 30 minutes then just decided to run it out one of the holes before those plates (i think theres 3 plates in the frame) and i ran it on top of the frame then up through my bed.
:stupid:

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
Not to sound rude but if you need info on jacking the truck up and putting it on jack stands maybe you should rethink about what you are going to be doing. As for running it through the frame put some tape over the end of the line so it doesn't get shyt in it. Also use gromets wherever the line or electrical passes throuh steel.

Really though this is alittle more involved than changing your oil and your life as the lives of others depends on your work. Think about it and ask yourself if you are skilled enough to do the install. Yeh you might save 1500 buxs but hospital bills with far outway that.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i changed the spindles,shocks,and coil springs lasy year so i wont have any trouble on the assembly process...just wanted to get as much feedback as possible....you guys are the bag gurus...

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
good luck getting 1/2 airline all the way down the inside of the frame. The plates at the tranny cross member dont have enought room to slip a line around them.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
SlammedDime said:
I ran all my line on the frame rail and came up in front of the firewall for all of my gauges.
3/8" line will fit through the hole in the plates in the frame... 1/2" line will not.

and also if your only running a 255 bag, you will only need to cut off the bottom lip of the pocket the entire way around. the brake line should not be in your way at all, you dont need to cut that high up at all. just mark a line 1/2" above the bottom of the pocket, and cut strait across.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts