S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
time to get cereal
4,300 Posts
A donor truck for wiring sounds asinine to me. You can still use most of the stock wiring.

·
Registered
824 Posts
do what i did to my 1996. remove every piece of wiring in the entire truck and throw it all away. Then, swap over to a brand new ididit tilt steering column, and add a street rod style wiring harness. i think i have a 12 circuit harness that runs the truck. all 100% complete new harness no computer bs. you will be happier in the end

·
Registered
252 Posts
Find one without a computer. The further along you go in the years of evolution, the worse it'll get for you.

Kind of ironic iin that you're building older stuff and specifically using computers and electronics but want to do away with it on newer stuff that was built with 'em.

Stripping all the engine management will leave you with a lump of metal and no way to run it and a transmission that won't do anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That reply helps more than others at least.
Remember, eventually I want the 3.0 Mercruiser 4 in there.
No way that can be computer friendly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I plan on carb'd, standard, 2 speed wipers, 3 speed blower, push pull heater controls, hi/low headlights. Anything more, like cruise would be aftermarket.
The donor truck wiring would be an early 80s truck without the computer crap.
As for the bs, no help answers, guygaymanporker has that to a science.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,136 Posts
I plan on carb'd, standard, 2 speed wipers, 3 speed blower, push pull heater controls, hi/low headlights. Anything more, like cruise would be aftermarket.
The donor truck wiring would be an early 80s truck without the computer crap.
As for the bs, no help answers, guygaymanporker has that to a science.
Be careful what you say...

·
Registered
824 Posts

To reiterate, this is literally what I did. I have the ‘street road harness’ runs the truck, head and tail lights, radio, horn etc. Then the LS has its own wiring harness. And the power windows are run off a Dakota digital remote set up. And the Ac is vintage air which has its own harness. Each is separately powered off a main power lug that has each circuit ran through a circuit breaker.

Also, I’m usually the one that comes off as an @ss hat in here. It is not meant to be, just I write like that. I’m actually a pretty chill person that likes to enjoy boobs, whiskey and loud music..

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,361 Posts
for cruise control- they make an aftermarket unit that works off of vacumn and 12v- had one on my '74 Dart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
To reiterate, this is literally what I did. I have the ‘street road harness’ runs the truck, head and tail lights, radio, horn etc. Then the LS has its own wiring harness. And the power windows are run off a Dakota digital remote set up. And the Ac is vintage air which has its own harness. Each is separately powered off a main power lug that has each circuit ran through a circuit breaker.

Also, I’m usually the one that comes off as an @ss hat in here. It is not meant to be, just I write like that. I’m actually a pretty chill person that likes to enjoy boobs, whiskey and loud music..
I lmeant your post was helpful. My phone displays the replies oddly. Thus the two sane replies by me.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I lmeant your post was helpful. My phone displays the replies oddly. Thus the two sane replies by me.
No worries amigo, allgood here
. We all tend to jump on the “Why do that/ no one will like it/ youre the 1%”..BS bandwagon nowadays.

I have the only tubbed S10 blazer (pictured) with a 5 cylinder in it. I get all “why such big tires with such little horsepower’ BS comments all the time. But, like I usually reply, ive got nearly 35k miles on my blazer since I have built it..compared to the shi*t talkers twin turbo’d 6.0 fire breathing Camaro that’s ready to take my money blah blah blah. Its all different strokes for different folks, and todays people seem to forget that. We have some older guys in here, older than me, and I’m 45, and it surprises me to see them say the things I have seen.

Either way, rat rod (jalopy if you’re old enough) pro street, pro touring, street racer, low rider, I dont care what your style is, or how you build your own vehicle. It’s your time, your money, you do you.

Keep on Truckin…

-james

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,136 Posts
No worries amigo, allgood here View attachment 346726 . We all tend to jump on the “Why do that/ no one will like it/ youre the 1%”..BS bandwagon nowadays.

I have the only tubbed S10 blazer (pictured) with a 5 cylinder in it. I get all “why such big tires with such little horsepower’ BS comments all the time. But, like I usually reply, ive got nearly 35k miles on my blazer since I have built it..compared to the shi*t talkers twin turbo’d 6.0 fire breathing Camaro that’s ready to take my money blah blah blah. Its all different strokes for different folks, and todays people seem to forget that. We have some older guys in here, older than me, and I’m 45, and it surprises me to see them say the things I have seen.

Either way, rat rod (jalopy if you’re old enough) pro street, pro touring, street racer, low rider, I dont care what your style is, or how you build your own vehicle. It’s your time, your money, you do you.

Keep on Truckin…

-james
Well...this old guy really likes the Blazer...and I'm not even a fan of black wheels... 🤣

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I actually have a cruise control in a box, I bought back when I had money.
I haven't used it because I know it's the only one I'll have and I'm "saving" it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Weird, another out of post above...
I like that blazer!
Like the inlines too. Torque makers and balanced smooth...
Know of a 6.5 turbo diesel Vette out there, I'd love a 6.5 turbo classic caddy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Slowly and carefully would be the only recommendation that I could think of. On my 00 4.3 nv3500 4x4 I was able to completely eliminate the TCCM and all of the associated electronics/vacuum lines without too much issue, about the only 'hard' part was trying to get a couple of simple answers on this forum since people get stuck on the "why, thats not the right way to fix it" thought process and miss answering the simple yes/no question that may have been raised. It seems to be this way on most car forums that outlast the production run of the vehicle they are about, s10forum is no exception. Thankfully these trucks were hugely popular so nearly any question you could think to ask has been asked by a hundred others, it just takes a touch of googlefu to find them sometimes.

The process I used to come to the decision to remove the TCCM and go manual was by first attempting to address the common electronic failure areas, of which I was experiencing every single one (ie: broken switch solder joints, corroded to the point several pins were simply gone harness to the TCCM, encoder motor with hardened grease on the position detection wipers). It didn't take much to realize there wasn't much true logic to the system, especially with a manual trans truck, and that behind the smoke and mirrors was a super simple 2/4 high/low transfer case that could be operated as such without any need for a computer.

Going that route for the entirety of the trucks powertrain will no doubt be far more involved than deleting the TCCM, but no where near impossible. Boiled down to the basics these trucks are nearly identical to much of what GM was building in the 70s, especially if you are running a manual trans. It always amazes me that my 01 2.2l 5 speed has no problem starting with almost everything the wiring harness connects to being disconnected, a true testament to how extraneous much of the wiring/electrical components are in the base models of these trucks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is more work to "Go Non-Comupter" than it is to learn and fix the computer stuff.

·
Registered
98'S10 LS
24 Posts
Brother,I'm with you. I'm doing the same thing on a 98. 355,Qjet,HEI. All the computer harness is gone now but I will have to run a couple circuits through relays because the switches and wiring are not heavy enough the handle the current on their own.
Anything powered by a wire smaller than 16 gauge wire will probably have to be run through a relay Headlights,parking lights,horn(of course) fuel pump(if you're gonna use the intank pump)and starter. Low current devices can be run direct like tach,speedo,gauges,illumination and courtesy lights. A/C clutch,blower motor,wiper and back up lights have heavy enough wiring and switches to be run direct. All circuits need to be run through fuses.
My idea is to run the cruise off the VSS but I may have to run it off the tach signal. I'll have an engine governor,same difference either way
The reason we want to run our *** like it was built 100 yrs ago is because it will still be running when all y'alls techno crap is long dead.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts