S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the HEI distributor and a carb, manual transmission, and doors...
Do I need different wiper controller,
Different cruise controller,
Different heat controls and blower controls?
Headlight switch different?
Wipers?
I plan on losing the AC.
In other words what is and isn't computer controlled?
I'm good enough at wiring, and comfortable adding the proper switches and resistors and relays.
I'm more than able to install my own gauges. In fact, I already have them on hand.
Would an early 80s steering column help?
Perhaps a whole 80s donor truck?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or, do I not even need worry about the "bcm" computer??
I'm really unclear about what computer does what and needs what...

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
598 Posts
I agree... Why?

Depending on the year of the truck, you are looking at just about everything except the manual window crank being controlled by one or more of the computers in the truck. Why drop back to 100 year old technology that was ok at best? While there is a learning curve to the modern computer controls, it is actually a much easier system to work with once you learn it. I prefer working on OBDII vehicles over anything else because of that.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,361 Posts
you can go old school on everything- if you can find a pre-computer donor. But you are going to add a good bit of weight and have to do a shite ton of wiring.Most accessories can run of direct power with a bit of tinkering. But as said above -WHY? unless you are prepping for an EMP strike. Know something we don't? :unsure:

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
598 Posts
you can go old school on everything- if you can find a pre-computer donor. But you are going to add a good bit of weight and have to do a shite ton of wiring.Most accessories can run of direct power with a bit of tinkering. But as said above -WHY? unless you are prepping for an EMP strike. Know something we don't? :unsure:
HEI will die with EMP... Hell it will die if you look at it crosseyed too. LOL Points if you are hardening against EMP.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,361 Posts
not the HEI i would worry about- the alternator is the weak point- the rectifier bridge is fragile under normal times.to be EMP proof - you have to go pre 40's or mechanical Diesel.

·
Registered
598 Posts
not the HEI i would worry about- the alternator is the weak point- the rectifier bridge is fragile under normal times.to be EMP proof - you have to go pre 40's or mechanical Diesel.
Ahh yes, generators with solenoid regulators... Those were the days!

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,361 Posts
do not forget setting points with the matchbook- who needed feeler gauges....

·
Registered
598 Posts
do not forget setting points with the matchbook- who needed feeler gauges....
I used to do SBCs by ear. Open the little door in the dizzy cap and make small changes until you get quick throttle response and no misfires. Ahh the memories...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Because I want it that way.
Well good luck. I hope you don't have emissions or inspections or you are planning on using the truck for offroad use only. Either way yes it can be done, but you will run into many obstacles trying to get everything to work. I would get a non delay wiper motor if you can, your cruise will not work at all without a computer so throw it away, and while you are throwing stuff away get rid of the 4L60E trans, the antilock brake controller and you will most likely need to rewire the entire fuse panel as most of it will become useless. Heater controls use the BCM for temp, but mode is done with vacuum so you will be good there, if you don't toss all the vacuum stuff thinking it's emissions.

Basically you will be gutting the truck and making it worthless to anyone but you. 99% of the people would avoid buying a truck that has what you are planning done to it. You my friend are the 1%.

·
time to get cereal
4,285 Posts
It would help to know the year of the vehicle we are dealing with, what accessories you wish to keep, etc.

I have a 2001 without a BCM, but I have stripped the vehicle of all non-essential items. Basically lights, wipers, and heater only.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Reverse engineering

·
Been there Done it
10,084 Posts
What you want can be done. There are basically 2 methods. If you are are very knowledgeable automotive electrician and have plenty of time to spare you can work it out. Some things will have to go,but not all.
The other simpler method is to remove the dash and remove all the wiring behind it and anywhere else in the interior. Then open the hood and remove every single wire. Crawl under the truck and remove every single wire.
Buy a street rod wiring kit from Jegs or Summit and build a new system with no electronics. When you're done you'll have only what you want and will know what each wire does. No ABS, no gas gauge, no speedometer, no cruise, but it'll run if you do it right. And as mentioned above no one will want it except you.
Works fine if you're building a race only truck, but not very good for street use.

·
time to get cereal
4,285 Posts
LOL, is that all you can say?

If you don't understand what the BCM does, you should figure that out first, or just stop while you have a working truck still...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, I have done a full rewire several times before.
Each with full, beyond oem gauges.
I have never done anything newer than a 87 chevy K10, and am currently doing an 84 army issue CUCV to 12v with a full electronic dash, built 4l80e with US Shift computer and all sorts of diesel goodies.
I'm asking for help with the S10 because it's new to me and because I've never had, and never wanted, any computer options, any power options, etc. It's not what I like.
I had an agreement on a 84 S10 extended cab, standard trans, but then the seller went silent.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts