S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick questions for you guys out there. I am new to the fiberglass scene but very interested in trying. My question is, I am going to make a sub box and of course fiberglass it. Now I have seen some people lay the fiberglass on the inside of the box and outside as well. Now will it make a difference which method I choose? And what is the best cloth material to lay over the box for the prep of fiberglassing?

Thanks in advance!

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Most of the people I've talked with use like sweatpant material/fleece. Use fiberglass resin on the inside for extra strength. You dont want the box to flex! You're gonna lose SPL... So yea, fiberglass the inside and outside and it should be mighty strong!

·
EpicenterDesigns.com
1,025 Posts
As cab stated, I like to use fleece to start with. Mix the resin and hardener and paint that on top of the fleece really good. The fleece will soak up plenty of it.

After that hardens, add fiberglass mat/cloth to the inside, I add to the inside to make it easier and faster when finishing it. Add 5 or more layers for strenghth. Sand down the outside, add filler, sand that and prime or cover in your favorite shag material. :afro:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now my question is, how to add it to the inside when the box is already built and used as a template? Am I using the box as a mold, uswe vaseline and then after it hardens take the harden material and fiberglass the inside? I dont know if I am looking at this situation is the wrong manner or what.

Keep in mind, fibergalss is new to me.

Thanks for your info. guys

·
Registered
920 Posts
A good way to build strength is to make a "soup" out of body filler and sawdust. It makes it thicker, you use less, and it builds the inside up. Just mix the body filler, add some sawdust and hardner and then po\ur it ito the inside of your box, then tip the box back and forth to cover the whole thing...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts